PDA

View Full Version : Honda Shadow VLX Steering / bearing issue..

TheVoyager
08-02-2016, 4:24 PM
I guess this question could apply for any bike steering column.

Rebuilding my bike now, first time I have put the bearings in since I striped it... done it all correct but when tightening up the bearing cover it was just way to stiff and would not turn.. After much examination I seen on a diagram I was missing a dust seal.. which goes in between 'upper bearing inner race' and the 'bearing adjustment nut'.

Would this cause the whole bearing housing to become stiff without the dust seal?

I can not find it and another one is needed.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tattooo
08-02-2016, 6:03 PM
I guess this question could apply for any bike steering column.

Rebuilding my bike now, first time I have put the bearings in since I striped it... done it all correct but when tightening up the bearing cover it was just way to stiff and would not turn.. After much examination I seen on a diagram I was missing a dust seal.. which goes in between 'upper bearing inner race' and the 'bearing adjustment nut'.

Would this cause the whole bearing housing to become stiff without the dust seal?

I can not find it and another one is needed.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

How tight did you tighten the neck bearings? Did you torque them???

TheVoyager
08-03-2016, 12:14 AM
How tight did you tighten the neck bearings? Did you torque them???

We didn't torque no, figured as it was only a dry build we didn't need to. There was definitely something wrong??

The locking mechanism didn't see to work, we put it at a comfortable position where it could turn freely but it would kind of un screw itself, it's something so simple it must be?