PDA

View Full Version : Carb help

Michaelmarco
07-29-2016, 4:18 PM
Hello I have a 2005 shadow sabre. the bike was not started in three years at first I started it but it would die with throttle. so I cleaned the carb and then it only starts if I block the airbox with something but will die unless I keep the throttle very high more then the idle screw will go i changed the plugs new gas I am waiting for a airfilter what else should I look at

Tattooo
07-29-2016, 5:35 PM
Hello I have a 2005 shadow sabre. the bike was not started in three years at first I started it but it would die with throttle. so I cleaned the carb and then it only starts if I block the airbox with something but will die unless I keep the throttle very high more then the idle screw will go i changed the plugs new gas I am waiting for a airfilter what else should I look at

You didn't clean it good enough............ Do it again........ Take it completely apart and soak it for at least 24 hours..... Take carb cleaner and wash out every hole and all the jets too..........

farmall
07-29-2016, 8:59 PM
Properly disassemble the carb per service manual. Don't take apart the butterfly shaft etc, just the rest of the carb. If in doubt about how to remove a part, STOP and ask. Take your time.

I soak using undiluted Pine-Sol, not generic pine oil, then place the carb parts in a pot of HOT water, slosh them about then blow dry with compressed air or carb cleaner.

Your low speed jet is probably clogged. That's perfeclty normal when a motorcycle sits for a few months without the carbs being drained. There are many threads on carb cleaning and how to remove jets.

Completely drain the gas tank. Check the fuel strainer. You may want to start the bike off a dummy tank. Old riding lawnmower tanks work well and let you access everything when troubleshooting. I hang them from whatever is handy.

3rdcoastthumper
07-29-2016, 9:49 PM
Does the bike have an air filter and full exhaust? If one or both is missing the bike will not run right. Those late model carbuerated shadows are lean from the factory so any little change in air movement without an increase in fuel delivery will not have good results. Follow the previous advice given to assure the carbs are clean. The reason that the bike will run with more throttle is because it's running off of the needle circuit instead of the pilot. Maybe just get new jets from a local shop if you can. I think stock is 42/160 front 42/165 rear. Don't quote me on that though, check and see for yourself.

Michaelmarco
07-30-2016, 1:04 AM
Has stock exhaust airfilter is dirty but I ordered a new one I don't have place to heat in a pot. can I just soak in pine sole then carb cleaner or use a chem dip

Tattooo
07-30-2016, 6:54 AM
Has stock exhaust airfilter is dirty but I ordered a new one I don't have place to heat in a pot. can I just soak in pine sole then carb cleaner or use a chem dip

Do you have hot water???? Like what comes out of the shower????????? That will work......... Yes chem dip will work........

GrimReaper
07-30-2016, 4:30 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak
Make sure all your connections are tight

Michaelmarco
07-30-2016, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will try the pine sol and boil some water to put in a bucket. if I used a pot for a carb my wife would flip. I will also make shore there are no air leaks just in case.

farmall
08-01-2016, 6:25 PM
Water need not be boiling, just nice and hot. From the tap will do.

See various Youtube vids on Pine-Sol dipping.

Tattooo
08-01-2016, 6:52 PM
Water need not be boiling, just nice and hot. From the tap will do.

See various Youtube vids on Pine-Sol dipping.

Yea that's why I told him like what comes out of the shower......

Michaelmarco
08-05-2016, 7:15 PM
Thanks for all the help the pine sol worked great