PDA

View Full Version : 1970 750 rocket 3

whitewall
07-27-2016, 5:10 PM
im not familer with this 3 cylinder motor and was hoping yall could tell me if this motor any good? part availability?? compared to a 2 cylinder 750??

farmall
08-07-2016, 6:26 PM
That is a Triumph T 150 Trident. The first Rocket 3 was a BSA version of the same engine with different engine cases, chassis and sheet metal. Google for stock pics.

The center cylinders tend to run a bit warm (compression checks tell the tale) and a larger than stock oil cooler is a VERY good idea. Parts are readily available but they are less common than twin parts. The triples and twins share many parts but clutch and the obvious parts are different. Someone with Triumph twin skills could maintain one after some study. They are more expensive to work on because they are far less common.

An electronic ignition is a VERY good idea to prevent timing errors between cylinders.

That's a typical old school slapped together chop from when every mongoloid Bubba who saw Easy Rider hacked up his machine then gave up because they were maintenance intensive before da chopping.

I like stock or cafe'd triples (I'm building a Miles-framed 1972 T150) but consider them purely "Sunday rides".

If it has a title and you really want that bike as a chop I'd put a 650 or 750 twin in that roller. I've heard but NOT confirmed (I don't have any unit twin cases around to check against my triple front frames) the triples and twins are a "bolt in with spacers" swap. If not, the frames are so close it wouldn't be much fab.

If it doesn't have a title I'd save whatever parts ya want and sell it. Getting a triple right and keeping it that way is more effort than the Meriden Triumph twins or a Harley. Hinckley twins are far better machines for serious riding than any of the old Triumphs.

Front wheel and caliper are Harley. Rear wheel is Triumph.

I would NOT suggest someone new to wrenching Triumphs start with a triple. You can crunch the numbers on a rebuild, replacing the alternator and ignition and coils and all the other things required to turn a motorcycle-shaped-object into a runner. They are still not a "daily driver" and by the time you are done you could buy a running stock Hinckley Twin at NC prices.