PDA

View Full Version : 96 suzuki intruder help.

313cos
07-26-2016, 1:56 PM
I put on some new window bars, and im trying to adjust my clutch cable for the new height. Im having trouble getting this nut to turn, started to strip it a little decided i need to get some info on it before i dick it up. Any info or input is much needed(appreciated). First time bike owner.71242

farmall
07-27-2016, 12:07 AM
It's nice to see someone who asks questions BEFORE they fuck up hardware.

Cable fittings aren't hardened and that one's probably a bit corroded. I'd hit it with some penetrant and let it soak, then put a line wrench on it. They are designed for soft metal fittings.

Open end wrenches tend to strip as you've seen. You can get metric "line wrenches" AKA "flare nut wrenches" that size (also useful for many things like brake line fittings) which are six-point open ends. A wrench is cheaper than replacing the cable.

You can find line wrenches at your local auto store or online.

Example:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/pics/fnw3.jpg

313cos
07-31-2016, 9:05 AM
Farmall, thanks for the info. Picked up some tools you recommended. Worked out great.

Jasonisdico
07-31-2016, 11:13 PM
You know that's a hydraulic line, right, and not a cable?

farmall
08-01-2016, 6:23 PM
Hmm. I shouldn't have viewed that one on my phone. Line wrenches did the job anyway.

I love line wrenches.

OP, make sure you don't need to bleed your clutch!. If you just loosened and turned it you may not.