PDA

View Full Version : Kz440 ltd

Steamboat927
07-20-2016, 6:54 PM
If this is where I was suppose to post this, sorry I really don't understand these forums.

So I have a 1981 kz440 ltd. I wanted to put pods on but after reading a bunc of forums on it that's a bad idea! Now my next thing is cutting off the trumpets and basically making it short drag pipes can the carbs be tuned simple and easily if I do this? Or will it be as painful as with pods? I'm just trying to get a better tone out of the bike also the one pipe has a small rust hole right where the trumpet starts...

Westboundbiker
07-21-2016, 8:15 AM
Yeah, a lot of bike forums out there will tell you that any mods more than 'different turn signals' are a bad idea. You can change out the exhaust and intake all day long, you'll just get to learn how to rejet. It's not hard, but it's something to learn to do things right.

Matilda
07-22-2016, 7:26 AM
Westbound biker is right. I have a the same bike as you and I wanted pods. Went through all the forum research bullshit and ended up going with a single carb vs the dual. You can mod all you want. It's your bike. But you will have to learn how to jet carbs. Which is a good thing! Saves a ton of cash on labor. I will tell you though that 440 likes atleast some back pressure on that motor. I'm running VERY short pipes with cans that I made. I think total length of pipes are 17"

shovelpan69
07-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Just finished up a that same bike. put pods on and straight pipes still runs great, not perfect but great. Get some K&N air filter oil from autozone or walmart and put it on the pods and you wont have trouble, the longer you run the pipes the more similar it will be to a baffle setup so we ran them all the way to the rear tire. you can probably get aways with just using your mixture screw (air bleed whatever it is) right in front of the diaphram.