PDA

View Full Version : Need a few thoughts on chopping a VTX

Architect
07-06-2016, 1:38 PM
This is my first post and yes I did just change the embarrassing pony picture to another embarrasing pony picture lol

I have a 2008 Honda VTX 1800N
My goal when I bought it was to chop it...

I have a few ideas of what and how but I would like to get a few more ideas before I hop too it.

Essentially I want to lower it (not from the suspension) I'ts a tall, top heavy bike and I want to make it low slung (lower center of gravity) more like say... A Virago.

I see a couple of options... I can cut and reshape a few frame parts (welder) or I could get a whole new frame.
The current frame is really... Well, crappy lol terrible welds and what were they thinking design wise. There really isnt much room under the seat to do much as is before running into frame.

Any ideas how to best go about the lowering process?

In general i'm aiming for low and long(ger) which the VTX is not, I just like the engine :p

So lets say completely... I want to lower it at the seat, alter the tank shape (more rounded)
Taller front wheel, bobbed rear fender without going hard tail or switching too an internal soft tail suspension.
I'm thinking... Bobbed fender mounted too the rear axel area. Sort of "free floating"

I just like the cleaner look of a small fender that rides close too the tire.

Then long... Not so much in rake but I want to stretch out more, the design of the X is such that you feel like your sitting rigidly upright on a stool or something.

For this I was thinking of altering the seat, switching too ape hangars and setting them back a bit then fab'ing some mounts to move my foot controls forward a bit.

One other thing I would like too do is have the big chrome bezel on the tank gone and have one single oldschool looking bar mounted instrument. Analogue looking with blue led backlight, speedo, trip meter, warning lights etc. small and discreet... But I have yet to fin such a thing.

Anyway i'm open to thoughts and ideas about this.

Thanks!

Hotel
07-06-2016, 3:27 PM
Ive seen the X come up in discusssion a few times. Its a tricky bike to tamper with.
Throw some shorter shocks on it, you could get a slightly smaller back tire, all would lower the ass a little.
The X is a beautiful bike IMO, dont ruin her! ;)

sdustin
07-06-2016, 7:04 PM
My vote is full on hard tail. Not done much with shaft bikes but it looks good in my opinion

Architect
07-06-2016, 7:37 PM
True on both counts thanks! :) It is tricky but i'll try to not ruin her ;)

DustyDave
07-06-2016, 8:39 PM
After cutting into the frame planning on a hardtail I quickly decided to build a new frame for this 500VT. My Sawzall took longer to cut a piece of 1 by 4 wood than the frame tubes the welds were terrible and enough water had seeped in that the bottom tubes had frozen and split. Best part was that they didn't cut the tubes to the required angle they just mashed the ends to the required angle.Only part of the frame I reused was the neck.
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/dustydave/Before09137_zpscc04f037.jpg (http://s657.photobucket.com/user/dustydave/media/Before09137_zpscc04f037.jpg.html)
It really isn't a big deal to build a frame for a shafty. And if you frame is as crappy a this little fellow was, its way quicker to build from scratch.
Dusty

Architect
07-07-2016, 9:13 AM
Wow that's a beauty! Very much like what I have in mind for my ride.
Interesting you mention that about the frame... It's the sort of thing i've noticed about mine as well, such terrible welds... I havent opened it up to check for internal rust but looking at the welds themselves I kind of suspect there may be an issue.

I would go hard tail but i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to the suspension. Still i'm a bit on the fence there, may go that rout. I was mainly considering... I could chop/build a frame or buy a custom frame.
One is more cost effective the other is just easier lol.

Thanks!

Jedla
07-14-2016, 7:16 AM
Hello,

here is my X based on version "C" from 2002

sdustin
07-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Wow that's a beauty! Very much like what I have in mind for my ride.
Interesting you mention that about the frame... It's the sort of thing i've noticed about mine as well, such terrible welds... I havent opened it up to check for internal rust but looking at the welds themselves I kind of suspect there may be an issue.

I would go hard tail but i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to the suspension. Still i'm a bit on the fence there, may go that rout. I was mainly considering... I could chop/build a frame or buy a custom frame.
One is more cost effective the other is just easier lol.

Thanks!

Good luck on finding an aftermarket frame. And hardtail it.....I see your a wuss, that's why you have a daily rider.lol