PDA

View Full Version : 1982 KZ440- Some questions

tanner
06-17-2016, 7:52 AM
Whats up 33,

Been lurking here for a bit now. This may be all over the place, which is why I don't write often, so sorry in advance.

A buddy of mine recently picked up a KZ440 and I've been working on it and storing it in my garage. The bike is a decade older then me and I'm no mechanic, but we got it running for the first time yesterday after not knowing if the engine would even turn. He bought it titled for $500 off some scumbag who had it apart and didn't give us all the parts for it. Engine is strong, bike was dropped but nothing is that bad, wiring is a shitshow, but my questions come in to play when it comes to the carbs. He had them rebuilt by someone else and not me, so I cant really tell where something went wrong. My guess is the bowl isn't seated right based off the gas leak from the overflow.

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be gaskets between the carb and the motor or the carb and the air box? I can't find any info on it online. And if so and anyone is holding I'd be happy to buy them off you. Also, are there supposed to be clamps between the carb and the air box?

We also need new rubber mounts that go between the carb and the motor that hold the carb to it, as they are old and cracked.

I had more questions but started typing and forgot, so I'll start here and if anyone cares enough to write back it'd be greatly appreciated.

PeanutHead
06-17-2016, 9:54 AM
It just so happens I too am currently building a 440 (82 motor w/80 frame). There's supposed to be a gasket between the motor and the exhaust boot. You might be able to see it in this pic.
11th hour Industries made these aluminum boots ($100) Now for the intake (air box) boots. No they don't have clamps on them just a spring.

tanner
06-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Ah no shit, that's exactly the rubber mounts that started shredding. Should we throw those on and just delete the air box and put pods on the other ends of the carb?

OakBehringer
06-17-2016, 11:50 AM
"Gas leak from the overflow" - that could be one of two things:

1) Your floats are set too high- it's not leaking, it's doing what it's supposed to do, draining gas b/c the gas level is higher than the overflow tube
2) Your overflow tube is cracked up the side, and it's actually leaking gas, no matter how you have the float set.

I've seen both of these scenarios on a 440. For number 1, set the float height. I'll let you google for the specs and instructions on how to do that, it's all been explained better than I'll do. For number 2, you need to get a new carb bowl. Fixing that hairline crack in any permanent way is more trouble than it's worth.

- Adam

tanner
06-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Thanks a lot for the info!

PeanutHead
06-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Ah no shit, that's exactly the rubber mounts that started shredding. Should we throw those on and just delete the air box and put pods on the other ends of the carb?
Their website says the aluminum boots are best suited for use with pods so sure. I, on the other hand, have to be different (my wife says difficult) because I'm going to TRY and use the stock air box. Since you and your buddy are kinda new, pods are easier.

OakBehringer
06-17-2016, 2:31 PM
Their website says the aluminum boots are best suited for use with pods so sure. I, on the other hand, have to be different (my wife says difficult) because I'm going to TRY and use the stock air box. Since you and your buddy are kinda new, pods are easier.

Until they have to figure out how to re-jet the carb... for those with patience and the right type of brain, it's not too hard, but for a lot of riders... jetting a carb is their worst nightmare.

Maybe you should just save a few bucks, get the rubber boots, keep the OG airbox and air filter, and get it on the road as soon as possible?

tanner
06-17-2016, 2:45 PM
That's a good idea for me, so I can get his bike out of my garage. I'm not opposed to taking my time or getting my hands into a carb though. I guess the next thing would be just taking it apart and seeing what's up.

PeanutHead
06-17-2016, 8:25 PM
Z1 enterprises has a lot of parts for the 440s. Carb kits, petcock rebuild kits, boots, engine stuff too.

tanner
06-21-2016, 7:26 AM
wow, thanks for this. Haven't found a site like this yet.

GreasyGary
06-29-2016, 12:06 AM
Z1 ent. People are knowledgable about their products. I dealt with them on some kZ400 stuff a few years back. There is also a place in MI that has KZ stuff. I will see if I can find a recipt when I get home. I can't think of the name right now.

tanner
06-29-2016, 6:54 AM
Great, thank you for doing that, I appreciate it

GreasyGary
06-29-2016, 11:45 PM
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/c/kawasaki_motorcycle/parts?gclid=CPyz9N6Fz80CFQ6PaQodYGsAGg
Babbitt in Muskegon mi. There is their web site. Good luck

btalley63
07-11-2016, 7:43 AM
I'm doing the same with a kz440. I'm going a different route with the carbs. I have some brand new carb boots I'll sell you. I also have a set of the Keihin carbs if you are interested.

B.

Matilda
07-13-2016, 10:19 AM
I have a set of stock carbs if you want them cheap as well. There is a ton of info on running pods on those carbs on another forum. Most over there tell you it's a total bitch and I would tend to agree. I switched to one mikuni carb on my 440 and couldn't be happier. But it's all what your wanting to do with the bike. As mentioned Z1 ent. And 11th hour have good stuff