PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki gn400

BigEvil
06-13-2016, 1:25 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to find out if it's possible to hardtail my Suzuki gn400, and also put a springer front end in it. All advice is appreciated

bellam87
06-13-2016, 2:19 PM
If you got the skills you can hardtail anything. There's not a kit out there for everything contrary to popular belief! And a springer can go on anything granted you get the correct stem size and length. The rest is in getting your trail right. I made my own springer and frame for far less than any kit out there. The chopper handbook is worth it's weight in gold for building any style chop.

BigEvil
06-13-2016, 3:23 PM
If you got the skills you can hardtail anything. There's not a kit out there for everything contrary to popular belief! And a springer can go on anything granted you get the correct stem size and length. The rest is in getting your trail right. I made my own springer and frame for far less than any kit out there. The chopper handbook is worth it's weight in gold for building any style chop.

Thanks man I appreciate it what chopper handbook are you referring to?

bellam87
06-13-2016, 7:28 PM
Type it in to google. You'll have to download it and print it out

Westboundbiker
06-14-2016, 6:39 AM
If you have a pipe bender, a welder, an angle grinder, and some patience, you can hard tail anything. Like Bellam said, look at the chopper handbook. Then browse around here a bit, and see what people have done. I haven't seen too many GN400's, but I did a GS450, and I know there are a couple more low CC suzi's around. Once you've got an idea of what people have done, go out and get to cutting, bending, and welding. Just remember, you really can't fuck up so bad that you can't just cut it off and try something new.

BigEvil
06-14-2016, 7:28 PM
If you have a pipe bender, a welder, an angle grinder, and some patience, you can hard tail anything. Like Bellam said, look at the chopper handbook. Then browse around here a bit, and see what people have done. I haven't seen too many GN400's, but I did a GS450, and I know there are a couple more low CC suzi's around. Once you've got an idea of what people have done, go out and get to cutting, bending, and welding. Just remember, you really can't fuck up so bad that you can't just cut it off and try something new.

Westboundbiker

I'm not trying to ask stupid questions but I don't have the money for a fancy hydrolic pipe bender. Is there a cheap one you can recommend to me?

sandmanred
06-15-2016, 4:56 AM
Westboundbiker

I'm not trying to ask stupid questions but I don't have the money for a fancy hydrolic pipe bender. Is there a cheap one you can recommend to me?

Here's a HF knock off (ya, I'm that cheap) that I built. Started with a 3 ton jack I had laying around and had to pop for a 6 ton when I figured out the 3 ton was too small.

That's about a 4.5 inch radius on the edge of the bending die. It's two plates separate by 3/4 inch and beveled a bit to support the tube being bent. You also have to pack the tube with sand to keep it from collapsing. In the pic I'm bending 1.5 inch 14 gage ERW. I've done 1 inch 11 gage and 1.25 inch 16 gage as well. I built most of a bike frame with 1 inch 11 gage bent with this bender.

Westboundbiker
06-15-2016, 6:41 AM
Sandman, that's a fucking sweet bender. looks well built!

I have the HF one (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-32888.html) and it works pretty good. With a 20% off coupon that they're always running, it was ~$90, which I've definitely earned my money back in saved time.

BigEvil
06-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Sandman that is a pretty badass bender. I appriciate all your guys advice. All I need to do know is figure out the right tubing I should use for the frame

bellam87
06-16-2016, 6:14 AM
I don't know about the tube size on a GN400 but my cb750 was just about 1.125". I used 1.125" OD .125" wall DOM 1018 tubing. Definitely try and get DOM tubing as it makes slugging into your original frame much easier since the ID's are damn near spot on for a piece of round stock of the correct OD.

Westboundbiker
06-16-2016, 6:23 AM
I don't know about the tube size on a GN400 but my cb750 was just about 1.125". I used 1.125" OD .125" wall DOM 1018 tubing. Definitely try and get DOM tubing as it makes slugging into your original frame much easier since the ID's are damn near spot on for a piece of round stock of the correct OD.

DOM is also much stronger than welded tube.

bellam87
06-18-2016, 4:37 AM
DOM is also much stronger than welded tube.

What he said