PDA

View Full Version : 82 gs 750 carburator issue

mandodave82
05-30-2016, 12:02 AM
I recently picked up a suzuki gs 750. The guy said he couldn't get it to run. He had removed the air box and was using pod filters. So he said he re did the carb with bigger jets. These are the CV mikuni carbs. I pulled the carbs down and put in a 47.5 main jet and I think 120 pilot jets. I cleaned up everything and put it back together.

My issue. After I put it all back on the bike I turned on fuel, primed it for a split second and then turned the petcock back to fuel. After trying to start it with no success I Came back a hour later and gas is driping out my pod filters. I pulled the filters and gas is seeping out the carb. NOTE. I removed the filter that is attached in the petcock inside the tank, it was clogged and installed a inline fuel filter. A clear one to know gas was flowing when I primed and stoped when I put it to fuel.

Is gas continuing to run because I removed the petcock filter and used a inline? Is it filling the bowls and proceeding to overflow out the filter side of the carb? It's a semi steady drip.

Did I clog something when I pulled the carbs and redid the jets? I have no clue! Lol

Any help guys would be awsome

WarMullet
05-30-2016, 9:02 AM
That sounds like a float issue. Not sure why fuel wouldn't be leaking from the fuel bowl overflow. Eitherway check the float needle seat and ensure the float moves freely

mandodave82
05-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks warmullet. The floats moved freely when I took it apart but maybe there set to high. When the floats work properly does the needle seat stop the gas from flowing into the carburator from the fuel line?

WarMullet
05-30-2016, 1:32 PM
Thanks warmullet. The floats moved freely when I took it apart but maybe there set to high. When the floats work properly does the needle seat stop the gas from flowing into the carburator from the fuel line?

My rudimentary understanding is that when there is enough fuel in the bowl, the float raises which causes the needle to seat cutting the flow of fuel into the carb.

If the needle rubber doesn't mate with the seat well enough then fuel will keep flowing in.

mandodave82
05-30-2016, 2:49 PM
My rudimentary understanding is that when there is enough fuel in the bowl, the float raises which causes the needle to seat cutting the flow of fuel into the carb.

If the needle rubber doesn't mate with the seat well enough then fuel will keep flowing in.

Thanks bud, it very appreciated

WarMullet
05-30-2016, 3:23 PM
Here for you mate. Hope that helps you figure it all out.

farmall
05-30-2016, 6:16 PM
I suggest leak checking assembled carbs off the motorcycle before installing. You can see everything much better and correct problems with far less hassle.

I do it outdoors with a dummy tank (riding lawnmower tanks work great) but of course you could just run some longer fuel line (use "fuel injection hose", so called fuel line at auto stores it typically not ethanol resistant. I won't use that shit on my lawn mower) and prop the carbs up however you choose.

I let the carbs sit for an hour or so in case of seepage. Inspect using a bright light. If your carbs have separate drain lines it's easy to check. On bikes where they are plumbed together disconnect them to observe each bowl drain for overflow.

Don't be discouraged. That sort of thing happens to everyone.

Inspect the black Viton needle tips under BRIGHT light. If you see a distinct wear ring, replace the needle. If in doubt there's no harm in replacing all four. They are great engines (I had an '81 I put over 30,000 trouble-free miles on) but 1982 was a long fucking time ago.

This site is a goldmine for GS owners: http://www.thegsresources.com/

Duttry98
06-02-2016, 7:28 AM
This will be a big help.....
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

mandodave82
06-02-2016, 7:05 PM
Thanks man!

Duttry98
06-03-2016, 10:27 AM
No prob, dude! If you own a GS, the GSresources and Bike Cliffs page will be your Bibles