PDA

View Full Version : harley tank

harpguy74
06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
i was looking on ebay for a tank and fenders for my 2005 honda shadow sabre becouse i whant to paint my bike with bedliner but i wanna keep the original tank and fenders for resale reasons. a sabrew tank is like 300$ and up used on ebay but i can get a set of doeble harlet tanks for 100$ has anyone tried this? i was just wondering if it would be posible with a little weldind and fabrication or if the frames are just to different to make it work.

Madav8tr
06-14-2010, 8:16 PM
with a little welding and fabrication damn near ANYTHING is possible. It's up to you to decided if it's gonna be within your abilities to make it happen. I have put Harley sportster tanks on just about anything over the years so I would think it could be done on a sabre too.

crawler65
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't think it would be to hard, just takes a welder and a little vision. You can get a sporty style tank for right around $115 from a few different vendors as well. You can fit a sporty tank on damn near ANYTHING LOL!

harpguy74
06-16-2010, 5:54 AM
i do too much miles in a day to have a sporty tank i was thinking of a old double tank

NHMike
06-16-2010, 7:45 AM
Do you know what your backbone is like? I had a Sporty tank on my Vulcan, it worked fine, so I would think, if you have a single tube backbone you'll have no problem fitting any tank you want. Is your Sabre EFI?? I've never had an EFI bike but I think their tanks are different for some reason. Although I could be wrong about that.

KustomJeff
06-16-2010, 8:05 AM
Are you keeping the stock metal to sell them or to resell the bike later? If you're just selling the tins then yeah you can make anything fit with some fab work, however a set of HD fatbobs will dwarf your poor little bike. If you want to maintain resell value on the bike then you need to keep the welding to a minimum. Look around for a set of tins you like that you can see in person to get a size reference THEN go on ebay and find a good priced set. Good luck with it and post pics as you go!
Later....

REV
06-17-2010, 12:54 AM
just wanted to toss in something. truck bed liner weighs a ton. a friend did a sport bike body (just the plastics on the outside) and it added close to 300lbs. keep that in mind before you go overboard. if its just the tank and maybe a small fender, you shouldnt be too bad off. but that shit can weigh a lot when its all done.

harpguy74
06-17-2010, 8:33 AM
i was thinking more the bedliner in a can not the stuff you need to be aplied by rhino