PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build

BadMonk
05-25-2016, 5:30 PM
I thought that I was nearing the point on my '84 Kawi ZN1100LTD. Then, the wiring decided to take a dump. It's no wonder cuz the wires are dried out and brittle wires. Some almost snap off. So, it's time to remove the old and put in brand new wires. I'm not now and never will be anything but a wiring newb, and it ain't that I haven't tried. Anyhow, I put white out on a factory schematic and drew some lines. Don't know if this is possible but could anyone take a look at the attached pic and tell me if it looks okay? (Yeah, it's not professional looking and the size probably has to be increased to see it clearly. Sorry 'bout that but it's the best I can do).

Sky
05-26-2016, 6:03 AM
The high/low indicator, speedo light and brake light switch wiring looks suspect.
Try drawing your own diagrams, one system at a time.
And ground components to the frame instead of all to a common ground wire.
Are you dead set on using the old switches too? Consider using new switches relocated to wherever you want them.

BadMonk
05-26-2016, 6:21 AM
Thank you, Sky. I appreciate that you took time to look at my diagram. A guy just let me know this:

I'm not real familiar with the ZN, but I would have expected the B/W wire on the igniter to go to ground. Either way, it shouldn't go to the white wire on the reg/rec, as that is normally permanent 12v (though you don't have it connected that way).

Also, you have the reg/rec output going directly to the ignition switch, with no fuse, and no connection to the battery. You won't get power to the ignition switch.

Also, you have the battery permanently powering the starter solenoid, thus it will start cranking when you connect the battery.

Also, you show no connection to ground for the igniter and reg/rec. They are grounded to each other, but their shared ground is not shown connected to the battery ground. This would be bad.

Also, you are showing the high-current connection of the solenoid connected to the start switch. They should be to the battery and starter. The starter wire is not really shown connected to the solenoid components.

I'm surprised to see the brake-light wire going to the ignition switch. I've never seen that on a KZ. Can't tell why it's there. The ZN schematic does show it that way. I suspect that is an error on the original diagram based on the other connections to that circuit.

You have no connection to power the headlight circuit.

First and foremost, I would recommend getting at least one fuse on the main power, otherwise you could be melting a lot of wire.

I don't think he'd mind me doing a copy/paste job. He's helped a lot of people with electrics. I'll post up a revised diagram in a little bit. It may help somebody too.

BadMonk
05-26-2016, 7:27 AM
Here's the revised diagram. There's a question about the ignition switch though. There may be an error in the full, original diagram, and the ignition switch info is mostly guesswork since it doesn't have the switching map (like the other switches show). More research/knowledge is needed.