PDA

View Full Version : Venting tank

shortpork
05-23-2016, 11:21 PM
I'm changing the tank on my 99 vlx600. They got a vent tube connected to the air filter, that goes into a "air reservoire" if you will, then I believe runs to the tank. If I get a vented gas cap can I tear out this whole system?

Westboundbiker
05-24-2016, 6:18 AM
Can we get a picture?

shortpork
05-24-2016, 8:09 AM
Ok. so in this picture the 'vent reservoir' is right in the middle between the frame. Empty, nothing in it. One hose goes from that reservoir to the air box/filter (black, on left) which is what I'm pointing at in the pic. Im not at home right now and it wasnt my focus lastnight so i didnt see where the other tube led to. I can check tonight. If this is indeed the venting system I should be able to substitute it with just a vented gas cap right? Or does this system create a vacuum to suck the fuel through the system without a pump??

Westboundbiker
05-24-2016, 10:53 AM
So I don't have a VLX, so I can't speak with certainty, but I'd almost guess that's an overflow or charcoal canister for emissions crap?

I really doubt it draws fuel like a pump.

farmall
05-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Looks like an evap box, but download a manual and determine what EVERYTHING does and you'll have a much more comfortable time modifying your scoot.

shortpork
05-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Yea I ordered a manual a few days back. The other tube goes into the cylinder head....

The tube hanging to the right is the one that goes to the air box where already filtered air goes into the carb. So basically the one tube goes straight to the carb intake and the other goes to the cylinder head. When I removed the air filter cover the inside had some moisture that smelled like gas. Could it be pulling hot air out of the cylinder head like ventilation? Bike has a radiator though...hmm confusing

shortpork
05-24-2016, 12:49 PM
Ok I found a pdf of the service manual. I guess it is a breather/vent hose. The reservoir collects and drains any oil that makes its way up, and the tube to the carb creates the air draw. Could I just use a breather bolt if it will fit? Surely out of all the vt600's that ive seen chopped on here some of you guys have done something with this setup