PDA

View Full Version : First "bobber" advice for a noob

Crunchtime
05-22-2016, 9:25 AM
Ok, looking for a bike to build with my kid and need advice on what to start with. Im looking to stay lower budget as well, under 800 for the bike itself maybe 2200 total build. We like the shorter bobber style. Ok, now details. I'll be leaving it softtail, both for ride and budget reasons. I'd also like to be able to run a kick only minimal electrical system with a magneto. Those are the only 2 certainties that I have. Now to sit back and collect from your brains, thanks.

farmall
05-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Mags are fucking expensive and you don't need one. They look cool but that would trash your budget. Since most Jap bikes actually have decent electrical systems they don't need magnetos.

Plentiful, easy to build and Japanese with a kick starter means various 1970s bikes.

Yamaha XS 650s are popular and well supported, as are Honda CB 750 SOHC fours. With some care you could fit those in your budget and there are plenty of examples online to borrow ideas. You can get mags for them later on if you feel like it, but prices are brutal.

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/yxs-for-yamaha-xs650.html

Given the choice I'd buy the cleanest best running mostly stock bike to start with. I'd rather have the CB 750 for power and smooth cruising but both will do.

Tattooo
05-22-2016, 10:38 AM
^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^ You don't get any better advice than that..... Well I could suggest that you save up a little more money before you start....... But I'm sure you knew that????