PDA

View Full Version : First bike build bike help.

KevinSpK
05-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Hey guys. First post.

I have inherited some machining tools and equipment recently and would like to build a cheap bike. And I need a little help picking a bike to start with.

I know you get this question a lot, but I have some specific requirements I would like to get with the bike.

1.) I want a 500cc single cylinder, preferably a kick start.

2.) Disc brakes on the rear. I haven't ever converted drums to discs, so I don't know how easy or hard that would be. But I will be doing a hard tail conversion. So if the bike has drums and the conversion isn't to hard, I don't mind attempting the conversion at the same time.

3.) I would like an engine that is physically small. And a frame that is a little bigger than it needs to be. The reason for this is that I have a tank design that I want to attempt. The tank is skinny and sits under the frame. To basically look like a fat bicycle frame. So I obviously need the space.

Number 1 and 3 are the biggest points I would like to meet. Number 1 being the most important.

Thanks for any help guys. Much appreciated.

WillSCB
05-14-2016, 12:26 PM
You might think about looking for an Enfield that's a few years old. Newer ones go for $3,500 or so and from what I understand, they are pretty reliable and basic. I think it would meet your requirements pretty well.

KevinSpK
05-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Sorry, my bad.

I should have mentioned it needs to be Jap. I am in South Africa. And American or Brit bikes are rare and very expensive.

21guns
05-14-2016, 1:54 PM
Honda xr500 brother

KevinSpK
05-14-2016, 2:22 PM
Thanks 21guns.

That's actually a good idea. For some reason I just completely left that out of the short list. Especially weird since the plan is to build a bike that looks like a BMX.

Sharkboy
05-17-2016, 12:13 AM
How's about a sr500.

ridgerunner1965
05-17-2016, 5:17 PM
the yam xt500 is a very proven engine thats fairly small. the yam xt600 is also a good engine but not sure if it was ever made with a kiker. the hondas mentioned above are also great.

anything you use is going to need a lot of frame mods to get the tank where yu want it.