PDA

View Full Version : Electrical switch question(s)

Webrat
05-08-2016, 6:51 AM
Hey all,,

Getting to begin wiring my bike nest weekend and I need to know what you all are doing for handlebar switches?
Since I AM putting LED turns on my bike (to keep hassles low from LEO) I will pretty much need a switch for all functions.
The plan is to have the headlight come on upon starting ,,so no on/off needed,,just a high-low switch.
Turn signals,,is there a 3 position switch I can "embed" in the handlebar (1 inch bars) to keep just the post sticking out?
Horn and kill switches would be the last two I guess.
Unless I am missing something.

OPEN to all ideas folks
THANKS

Sky
05-08-2016, 7:19 AM
What bike? Big difference between 70-80's wiring and modern self canceling modules...
Most Jap bikes have the throttle housing integrated with the right switch housing, so the easiest would be to reassign the existing switches.
But most want to clean up the bars, so...
Here's a pic of Harley Pinhead style switches.

If I had to have signals, I'd put a pushbutton switch on each side. hold the left one down for left signal and the right one down for right.
High/low can be a simple on/off/on toggle almost anywhere you can reach with the left hand. Headlight bucket, top tree, left frame web, etc.
Same for the sign/kill switch.
And if i had to have a horn, another pushbutton on the bar, rightside probably.

Webrat
05-08-2016, 10:35 AM
THANKS SKY,,,,,
I think ALL of those suggestions will be used. Wanna keep the bars as clean as possible.

cggorman
05-09-2016, 6:36 AM
Don't know what your budget is, but Gripace (http://www.gripace.com/Harleys.htm) is a super clean solution.

Sky
05-09-2016, 7:05 AM
All them micro switches require you run a bank of relays and associated wiring,.
The old style switches can handle the amps and are rebuildable!
If someone wants their bike super sano maybe they could "risk" not running signals.

Webrat
05-11-2016, 7:31 AM
Don't know what your budget is, but Gripace (http://www.gripace.com/Harleys.htm) is a super clean solution.
==================================================
AGREED,,,, very sweet solution..

Bertus
05-12-2016, 1:30 AM
I did it like this, just changed the switches...

For turn signals i used this=>