PDA

View Full Version : TJBC Velocity Stacks in the Rain

BoozePig
05-05-2016, 7:41 PM
Hey guys,

I'm considering the TJ Brutal velocity stack for a VT750. I live in Georgia where it rains an awful lot. I was hoping you guys had some experience with riding a velocity stack in the rain. I have fears that I'll just fuck up my engine from. Should I just go with a traditional air filter? Or am I overthinking this?

Sky
05-05-2016, 9:09 PM
Velocity stacks are for the track. Why stick with traditional. make a cool air cleaner of your own.
but if you insist. Bird deflectors and/or ranisocks might help your cause.

Tattooo
05-05-2016, 9:16 PM
Are you talking about your Honda? Where is the carb? Or does it have FI? Either way a V stack will really affect the way your bike runs......

Westboundbiker
05-06-2016, 6:32 AM
Are you talking about your Honda? Where is the carb? Or does it have FI? Either way a V stack will really affect the way your bike runs......

Any change in filter will impact how your bike runs. We're on a forum for custom bikes, that's kind of the standard operating procedure, lol. You can always adjust a carb or FI system- but water ingestion is a whole other matter.

I've never run velocity stacks, but I don't see how they'd be much more risky than a set of pods- there's still nothing that's waterproof.

Tattooo
05-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Any change in filter will impact how your bike runs. We're on a forum for custom bikes, that's kind of the standard operating procedure, lol. You can always adjust a carb or FI system-

So your assuming he knows that???? Am I right??????

And you think you can just adjust a carb or FI and make it run great with a stack or pods???? Boy do you have a lot to learn......

Tattooo
05-06-2016, 10:56 AM
I've never run velocity stacks, but I don't see how they'd be much more risky than a set of pods- there's still nothing that's waterproof.

Did I say that they were waterproof???? At least I don't see where I did....

It's his question not mine... I'm just trying to help....

datadavid
05-06-2016, 1:14 PM
Just feed the beast some methanol when raining, you will get the mega-metanolwasser boost of nazi fighter planes! Remember to inspect your engine heads for cracks after running mw50 for more than 10 minutes.

Westboundbiker
05-07-2016, 8:58 AM
So your assuming he knows that???? Am I right??????

And you think you can just adjust a carb or FI and make it run great with a stack or pods???? Boy do you have a lot to learn......

Christ, get the stick out of your ass. He's been around for at least a year- he's not some newb that hasn't seen people rejeting. Adjust; verb: "alter or move (something) slightly in order to achieve the desired fit, appearance, or result". I don't see how changing jets, or modifying a fuel map doesn't fit into the definition of "adjust"

Did I say that they were waterproof???? At least I don't see where I did....

It's his question not mine... I'm just trying to help....

No, you didn't say they were waterproof. In fact, you didn't say much at all.
You didn't answer any part of his question, and you also sounded very discouraging. I'm trying to help him actually learn, and understand what's going on. Lot of guys run pods, with no adverse affects. I was drawing the parallel between all the guys that run pods with no issues, and his velocity stacks question.

Just feed the beast some methanol when raining, you will get the mega-metanolwasser boost of nazi fighter planes! Remember to inspect your engine heads for cracks after running mw50 for more than 10 minutes.

Now I'm just imagining a water-meth injection chopper... That's one that'd embarrass those streched 'Busa idiots!

Ganso
05-08-2016, 10:05 AM
I have tj's stacks. They work in the rain.

Exit39
05-08-2016, 10:20 AM
I have been running velocity stacks on my daily rider for a couple years (91 VLX600), and on other bikes. It goes without say that they are not designed, hell any truly open air intake are not designed for heavy rain situations. A little mist in your carbs is no problem ... drowning them is deadly. I won't ride in heavy downpours, just pull over somewhere and wait. I did try some Outerwears stack socks (prefilters), but they restricted air flow and with my tuning it caused to much decel pop. I decided to just carry them in case of rain and pop them on if I really need to. My 2 cents, hope it helps your decision.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/exit39/Motorcycle/VLX-600/0707151957.jpg

Tattooo
05-08-2016, 10:39 AM
I've never run velocity stacks,

So your guessing he can run them even though you haven't run them???? I've run them before so I know better than you...... If the carb is on the back like a lot of bikes it should be no problem... On the side it should be ok but he will need to keep an eye on it in the rain....

I'm also trying to help him learn too but without asking questions about what bike and other particulars how can you give him an answer????

If you didn't know it you need to ask and answer questions to learn.....

I'm sure at your age you have already seen and done it all????

datadavid
05-08-2016, 1:45 PM
Christ, get the stick out of your ass. He's been around for at least a year- he's not some newb that hasn't seen people rejeting. Adjust; verb: "alter or move (something) slightly in order to achieve the desired fit, appearance, or result". I don't see how changing jets, or modifying a fuel map doesn't fit into the definition of "adjust"

No, you didn't say they were waterproof. In fact, you didn't say much at all.
You didn't answer any part of his question, and you also sounded very discouraging. I'm trying to help him actually learn, and understand what's going on. Lot of guys run pods, with no adverse affects. I was drawing the parallel between all the guys that run pods with no issues, and his velocity stacks question.

Now I'm just imagining a water-meth injection chopper... That's one that'd embarrass those streched 'Busa idiots!

Fuck yes. We dont (luckily) get those ridiculous things this side of the pond yet, plenty of assholes to smoke still though.

heyyodho
05-09-2016, 12:49 AM
You'll be fine as long as you're not drowning out there. In a downpour you could just shield the opening with your leg or something.

BoozePig
05-16-2016, 9:35 PM
I have been running velocity stacks on my daily rider for a couple years (91 VLX600), and on other bikes. It goes without say that they are not designed, hell any truly open air intake are not designed for heavy rain situations. A little mist in your carbs is no problem ... drowning them is deadly. I won't ride in heavy downpours, just pull over somewhere and wait. I did try some Outerwears stack socks (prefilters), but they restricted air flow and with my tuning it caused to much decel pop. I decided to just carry them in case of rain and pop them on if I really need to. My 2 cents, hope it helps your decision.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/exit39/Motorcycle/VLX-600/0707151957.jpg

Thanks man. I don't really know why this caused so much negative blow back. I've got a fuel processor on my bike to retune the fuel injection. I really just needed some first hand advice on engine longevity. I'm not trying to drown my daily rider but I appreciate the help. This is incredibly helpful. Also, sweet ride. I'll buy them and add a review down the road.

datadavid
05-17-2016, 3:46 PM
Thanks man. I don't really know why this caused so much negative blow back. I've got a fuel processor on my bike to retune the fuel injection. I really just needed some first hand advice on engine longevity. I'm not trying to drown my daily rider but I appreciate the help. This is incredibly helpful. Also, sweet ride. I'll buy them and add a review down the road.
Engine longevity as well as carb/throttle body wear is gonna be shit. Count on top en rebuilds twice as often as with proper filtering. Wrenching a lot is cool though!

Exit39
05-18-2016, 6:28 AM
Engine longevity as well as carb/throttle body wear is gonna be shit. Count on top en rebuilds twice as often as with proper filtering. Wrenching a lot is cool though!

Using a micromesh screen in the stack will filter out most contaminants (TJ's will come with one per stack). OEM air intakes are designed to not only filter the air, but separate out water. Obviously stacks are not as good as a filter, but these are the prices one pays for going custom. Side note: I have yet to rebuild any top ends as a result of using stacks ... properly. ;)

datadavid
05-18-2016, 2:32 PM
Using a micromesh screen in the stack will filter out most contaminants (TJ's will come with one per stack). OEM air intakes are designed to not only filter the air, but separate out water. Obviously stacks are not as good as a filter, but these are the prices one pays for going custom. Side note: I have yet to rebuild any top ends as a result of using stacks ... properly. ;)

Yea, i only had to do a few top ends with ground down guides and valves because po's been running open stacks (or broken leaky airboxes..) of course it takes years and thousands of miles but dust and grit will do its thing eventually.
Stacks are cool though!