PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor help.

313cos
05-05-2016, 7:01 PM
I'm taking my starter motor out but have one bolt left that's a pain in the ass(first bike). Anyone got any infor on how to extract it? There's no space for any tool I own. 69398

Jasonisdico
05-05-2016, 8:42 PM
Can you take another pic from further? Most likely there is a cover there that is supposed to be removed first. Also, year and model of bike would be helpful.

As far as tools, a 10mm ratcheting box wrench would probably get in there and get it done.

Sky
05-05-2016, 9:04 PM
best I can tell from the photo. Thats holding the starter together and you don't need to take it out to remove the starter.
Plus the bolt I think your reefing to is way too long to come out in the starter cubby. If you did the brushes would likely fall out of place.
Should be one or two 10mm bolts (vertical holding the one end down. And the other end by a lip (w/o-ring) Pulling it requires an upward tilt. You may or may not need to pull the primary weather it's chain or gear driven.

Get the manual!
Or at least a pdf of the chapter with the start system...

Tattooo
05-05-2016, 9:20 PM
^^^^ Yes get a manual before you do anything else....^^^^^^^^^

farmall
05-05-2016, 9:55 PM
You need to pull the left engine cover (AKA "stator cover") over the opposite end of the starter. That bolt in your pic holds the starter together. Don't remove it.

You will need a new gasket for the stator cover. You will need to pull the cover to the rear of the stator cover to get to all the bolts.

With the stator cover off you will see the starter gears and why you had to pull the cover to remove and install a starter.

Get a manual before reassembly at the latest. There are plenty of parts vendors online and you could add a manual to the order.

Not sure which cover bolts to pull and can't find a manual? Look up the stator cover itself on Ebay then look at the pic of the inside (most ads show them) and you'll (usually) see the bolt holes.

Don't pry hard on any cover. One of the first things bike mechs learn is to expect hidden fasteners.

I'm assuming you are wrenching the bike in your profile. Next time and every time, post the make/model/year because no one should have try to figure that shit out.

Have fun, be thorough, and enjoy the money you are saving.

313cos
05-08-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys, late on the reply. It's a 96 Suzuki intruder vs800gl. I eventually got it out. Took some work, got the pdf of the manual as suggested. Looked over the starter motor and the end was chewed up a bit. Not too sure but it looks like it was a replacement. Ordered a new one for cheap offline. thanks for the help