PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good silicone/wax remover?

cggorman
05-05-2016, 4:35 PM
I'm having trouble with fisheyes on some bare metal parts I'm shooting with epoxy. They are blasted and newly fabricated by me.

I tried acetone, mineral spirits, and rustoleum brand wax/tar remover (that also said it removed silicone)

Got anything that kills fisheyes dead?

Tattooo
05-05-2016, 5:12 PM
I tried acetone, mineral spirits, and rustoleum brand wax/tar remover (that also said it removed silicone)

None of them are worth a damn on fish eyes..... Alsoll, I think that's how it spelled.... Also there is a solvent that you can buy at a paint store that smells like bug spray..... I don't know the name but I will see if I can find it for you....

cggorman
05-05-2016, 5:54 PM
This?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/cggorman/Harley/CBOOF004-03_zpsjprmnoem.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/cggorman/media/Harley/CBOOF004-03_zpsjprmnoem.jpg.html)

Tattooo
05-05-2016, 7:13 PM
That's a different kind of container but that's it.... You wipe it on with a wet rag and wipe it off with a dry one when it's still wet..... That's the way I have always done it...

cased73
05-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Google homebrew tack cloths. Basicly a wipe you can buy or make and they work good to clean your surfaces between coats.

Tattooo
05-06-2016, 4:55 AM
Google homebrew tack cloths. Basicly a wipe you can buy or make and they work good to clean your surfaces between coats.

Aren't tack cloths for keeping dust off???

Heckler
05-06-2016, 6:57 AM
I use 2$ rubbing alcohol. I wipe the metal down with rubbing alcohol and wipe it while still wet with a clean rag.

cggorman
05-06-2016, 7:37 AM
I didn't think of alcohol. I may give that a try before I buy/ship a $50 gallon of specialty solvent.

I was digging around last night and found a product from Valco called Silicone Solvent 200 that sounds promising but I haven't found a place to buy it.

docmel
05-06-2016, 10:31 AM
I didn't think of alcohol. I may give that a try before I buy/ship a $50 gallon of specialty solvent.

I was digging around last night and found a product from Valco called Silicone Solvent 200 that sounds promising but I haven't found a place to buy it.

Get whats called fish eye eliminator at your local auto paint supply store. ITs an additive you add to what your are spraying. I NEVER paint w/o it.

Tattooo
05-06-2016, 10:43 AM
Get whats called fish eye eliminator at your local auto paint supply store. ITs an additive you add to what your are spraying. I NEVER paint w/o it.

I used to use that back in the early 80s in enamel..... It didn't let the paint flow out... Had a lot of orange peel.... I'm sure today's paint is different..... Plus he's not painting tanks and fenders....

cggorman
05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Right now I'm just painting trim/brackets/covers, but I'm trying to grow my skills. This winter I'd like to do do a tank and fender. Nothing flashy, tho. I like understated.

cggorman
05-06-2016, 4:22 PM
Hmm... I was just blasting a brand new chrome part in prep for paint. I blew it off with air and hit it with the rustoleum wax remover and I noticed it fisheyed one place within a couple seconds.

So, the contaminant is either in my blasting media (likely) and/or in the trigger sprayer I bought for the cleaner (piston/diphragm lube?)

I then brought it inside and scrubbed it real good with dish soap, then 91% isopropyl, then rinsed with RO water. Didn't notice any fisheyes after that. Seems a good scrubbing with soap and/or alcohol helps.

I then took the same part back out and sprayed it with the cleaner (it seems water based. Bubbles, no odor, washes off with clear water.). It immediately got a fisheye in a NEW spot!

So, I think the sprayer is definitely a problem.

I also got the same fisheye when I rinsed the cleaner off with RO water. Another scrub with alcohol took care of it.

I'm now waiting on the part to air dry.

Tattooo
05-06-2016, 5:39 PM
Have to tried purple cleaner???? Try that then blow it dry.... Don't use anything else then prime it..... See what happens....

cased73
05-06-2016, 6:42 PM
That to but home brews and high end production ones can be bought with the purpose of cleansing and removing impurities/chemicals that cause paint imperfections.