PDA

View Full Version : Sissy bar fab

Cal90G
05-05-2016, 4:22 AM
Hey fellas I want to fabricate a sissy bar for v star bobber just after advice on the most appropriate steel. Also I've already got fender struts and was wondering if it would be plausible to weld the bottom of the sissy bar to the existing struts? Thanks.

Keeleyvision
05-05-2016, 6:37 AM
Hey fellas I want to fabricate a sissy bar for v star bobber just after advice on the most appropriate steel. Also I've already got fender struts and was wondering if it would be plausible to weld the bottom of the sissy bar to the existing struts? Thanks.

It all really depends on what you are trying to build, how tall, the shape, etc.
as to welding to the fender struts, as long as they are steel then it should be fine, but you need to make sure you give yourself enough contact area to weld to, and if they are cast, you need to weld them properly (no MIG)

72scumbag
05-05-2016, 9:04 AM
I'm in for this as well. Been thinking about fabbing one up but will be my first go at it.

boomboomthump
05-05-2016, 11:26 AM
A picture would help. It really depends on how it will be welded to it.

Other points of consideration are: Will you be strapping anything to it? Will a passenger ever lean on it? Material thickness? Height of sissy bar?

If you're simply planning to bend a piece of round bar into a "V" shape and weld the ends to the top of the struts, I personally wouldn't do it. Post up a picture to show us what you're working with.

FilthyGarageCo
05-05-2016, 1:39 PM
Ive used 5/8 cold roll on the few I've made. 3' tall mig weld, have had no problems.

Cal90G
05-06-2016, 3:37 AM
I was thinking of using 12mm mild steel rod. I want it to be about 600mm high.

Cal90G
05-06-2016, 3:40 AM
How do I post photos?

Keeleyvision
05-06-2016, 7:08 AM
I was thinking of using 12mm mild steel rod. I want it to be about 600mm high.

It's going to be pretty flexy at that height, you could do it, but I wouldn't strap anything heavy to it, or let a person lean on it going down the road without some extensive gusseting