PDA

View Full Version : Determining tire pressures?

cggorman
05-03-2016, 10:44 AM
How do y'all settle on tire pressures for your customs? A lot of us have lighter-than-stock bikes with significantly different tires than original. My bike has lost 100+ pounds and gained a couple inches in rear tire width. I'm assuming I'll need to drop my rear pressure several pounds.

Just curious if anybody has a good process or rule of thumb.

Tattooo
05-03-2016, 12:07 PM
How do y'all settle on tire pressures for your customs? A lot of us have lighter-than-stock bikes with significantly different tires than original. My bike has lost 100+ pounds and gained a couple inches in rear tire width. I'm assuming I'll need to drop my rear pressure several pounds.

Just curious if anybody has a good process or rule of thumb.

Is your bike a rigid or have a swing arm???

cggorman
05-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Is your bike a rigid or have a swing arm???

Mine is a swingarm. I know I've also got damper and spring rate issues, but I'll just have Ohlins or somebody build me some shocks to suit once I get the bike rolling and weighed.

Tattooo
05-03-2016, 2:41 PM
With a swingarm bike unless it's stiff as hell I'd run around 28lbs.... I run 16 on my rigid Pan........

Wade1234
05-03-2016, 3:29 PM
how does that compare to what the tire label calls for? Both my tires call for 42 lbs but im in a similar situation where my rigid is very light

cggorman
05-03-2016, 4:20 PM
how does that compare to what the tire label calls for? Both my tires call for 42 lbs but im in a similar situation where my rigid is very light

I thought the sidewall pressure was the MAX pressure for the tire. I've never run any tire at the pressure listed on the side.

Tattooo
05-03-2016, 8:00 PM

The way I figure what tire pressure to run on a rigid is let the pressure down a little at a time..... When your going through a tight curve at a good clip and the bike feels like it's wanting to walk in the rear go up 3lbs and that's what I run....