PDA

View Full Version : Vl 1100 front end on a vlx600?

Harley94
05-01-2016, 3:19 PM
I have a 1992 vlx 600 with blown forks and a 1996 vl1100 with good forks. The double disc as opposed to the single are also qualities I would like to have. My question is can I use the vl front end on the vlx? If possible I'd like to use the vlx trees with the vl forks and wheel. Has anyone attempted this? Are there any other parts of the vl1100 that would make a good transplant into the vlx? Thanks in advance!

sdustin
05-01-2016, 4:59 PM
If the forks you want to use are 39mm I don't see any reason you couldn't just swap them out. I'd also get the front brake master cylinder since the vt600 master cylinder is designed for the single side front brakes.

Now if the forks are not the same size then you'd have to press in the stem from the vlx into the trees of the replacment forks. And that would possibly entail machine work of that are not the same size as well as finding the right bearings.

Harley94
05-01-2016, 6:48 PM
Thanks for the response. I am planning on transferring the master as well, I believe the vl1100 forks mic at 40mm, not sure if it's squeezable. Also what I'm concerned with is the width of the trees being the same. Anything else that could be transferred over? Thanks again

sdustin
05-01-2016, 6:58 PM
I think of the forks are not 39 hour bout going to make them work without machine work. What I'd do it move the whole front end. Wheel, axle, trees ect, but you will have to press the vlx stem in the vl1100 lower tree. Then you'll be stuck trying to find the right bearing for your costom job.

farmall
05-01-2016, 8:38 PM
There are many bearings available. Take both forks apart and compare them. Tapered roller bearings are composed of an inner and outer race. Learn how those are measured, there is ample material online.

One trick you can play is look up aftermarket bearings (easier to cross reference) for both motorcycles to see if they match.

Is your 600cc motorcycle and your 1100 fork on this list? If both are listed, they share bearings and your 1100 fork should swap. Look at fork stop areas too.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Balls-Steering-Bearing-22-1020/dp/B000GU7VM4

If the bearings don't match:

Measure the fork stem diameter and wall thickness (unless it is solid) If there is very little difference stems can be turned on a lathe, but to get the facts you need to examine the parts. Also check Honda-specific forums.

Does your 1100 inner race/bearing fit your 600 outer race in the neck? Are the steering stem lengths similar or different?

Learn what you need to measure. Have fun and post your results.

Harley94
05-02-2016, 2:00 AM
I know how to measure the bearings, also I have a company out here who can make them custom of need be but they are not cheap. I'm out of town right now and my mind is running on the hamster wheel so I figured I'd post here. I appreciate the feedback guys! The problem I'm having with switching the trees is all the shit attached to the upper on the 1100. The warning lights and gauges and suck, it looked like it was a pwrmanent fixture of my memory is correct. But correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm using the 600 stem still with the 1100 trees and the 600 frame, I should be able to just use the 600 bearings