PDA

View Full Version : Choosing shock for monoshock

shortpork
04-28-2016, 10:44 PM
I was looking at some different monoshock bikes trying to find the heaviest bike to get a shock from because I want minimal rear wheel travel. So after smoking a bowl and thinking about it, I though maybe off a harley softail? I know most of their designs either used 2 shocks or 2 reverse tension shocks that I cant think of the proper name. Was there any years they used a single compression shock?

Then I also though maybe from a big dirt bike. I know theyre light as hell but maybe a jumping style bike would have a nice stiff suspension?

Ive also thought street bikes but theyre pretty light too.

Let me know what you guy think :asshat:

Jasonisdico
04-29-2016, 7:19 AM
I think the Honda Shadow used a single heavy duty shock. Two separate times I've used sportbike shocks on two different bikes. I just compressed the spring first and spun down the adjuster nut for added tension. They were the piggyback style with the resevoir.

shortpork
04-29-2016, 8:41 AM
I think the Honda Shadow used a single heavy duty shock. Two separate times I've used sportbike shocks on two different bikes. I just compressed the spring first and spun down the adjuster nut for added tension. They were the piggyback style with the resevoir.

Ohh ok, wow I feel retarded now. The honda vt600 was the shock I was looking at getting but the bike only weighs like 425 pounds so I was concerned. Now that you make me feel stupid, its so obvious. Thank you!

Street bikes are quite light as well and their shock looked pretty short. How did it work for you? Do you bottom out ever?

Jasonisdico
04-29-2016, 1:51 PM
Ha! I did occasionally, but I'm 250lbs. The two I did were for my brother and my wife and neither of them bottomed out.

Remember this, if a spring/shock has say 5" of total travel, and you put an extra 1/2" of tension on it by tightening the nut, you have increased the weight the spring can hold by a full 10%. Increase that to an inch, and now it's 20% more stiff. And that's a huge difference!

Just make sure the shock is directly in line with the axle. The closer to the pivot point of the swingarm that you make it, the more leverage the rear wheel has against the shock. So the stiffer it will need to be. Does that make sense?

Westboundbiker
04-29-2016, 2:49 PM
The Vstar line has also always used a monoshock. My old 650 could handle me and the OL no problem.

shortpork
04-30-2016, 2:38 PM
Ha! I did occasionally, but I'm 250lbs. The two I did were for my brother and my wife and neither of them bottomed out.

Remember this, if a spring/shock has say 5" of total travel, and you put an extra 1/2" of tension on it by tightening the nut, you have increased the weight the spring can hold by a full 10%. Increase that to an inch, and now it's 20% more stiff. And that's a huge difference!

Just make sure the shock is directly in line with the axle. The closer to the pivot point of the swingarm that you make it, the more leverage the rear wheel has against the shock. So the stiffer it will need to be. Does that make sense?

Yes that does make sense! Thanks you. And torquing the spring down example you gave makes sense too and will definitely help me out. Good info Jason!