PDA

View Full Version : running wires under rear fender

blacklabel
04-26-2016, 3:15 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B83QK2of5zYqc1JNaWZZczE3aWc/view?usp=drivesdk

Any ideas on running the taillight wires down the rib in the fender . was going to weld thin rod from one side of the rib to the other but thought someone might have a better idea thanks guys

TurnerR
04-26-2016, 3:50 AM
I know some guys with the triumph style fenders who just use tape. The shiny AC duct tape. They tried to do the same and the fender distorted too much. Not sure how thick yours is, and your capabilities, tape seems ghetto but no one would ever see it. .02

vonhelmet
04-26-2016, 4:47 AM
I used a piece of plastic wire loom tubing, like that stuff that the wiring to your car engine is in, and I attached it to the fender with a fat bead of silicone caulk. I put it on in 2001 and its still holdin tight.

andri
04-26-2016, 5:17 AM
I would use some thin steel tubing, given that it is a steel fender, and just spot weld it in a few places.

Keeleyvision
04-26-2016, 7:29 AM
I would use some thin steel tubing, given that it is a steel fender, and just spot weld it in a few places.

ya it should work, but I would find a way to protect the wires from vibrating against the hole on each end of the tubing, it doesn't take long for steel to eat its way through wire insulation

vonhelmet
04-26-2016, 7:48 AM
Plastic wire loom and silicone caulk rules, no welding involved, and can easily be removed if needed, its available at any auto parts store, and I did mine back in 2001 still holding strong, and no wire insulation damage like at the end of a metal tube.

blacklabel
04-26-2016, 3:14 PM
Thanks guys for the idea's

47str8leg
04-27-2016, 1:46 PM
Plastic wire loom and silicone caulk rules, no welding involved, and can easily be removed if needed, its available at any auto parts store, and I did mine back in 2001 still holding strong, and no wire insulation damage like at the end of a metal tube.

Using this method w/auto vacuum tubing is even better. Pliable w/soft edges and can be found in various sizes. After I saw marble tile being applied to a wall w /silicone back in the early 90's and holding up just fine, that did it for me. Just make sure the surface is real clean and let it dry real good.

cggorman
04-27-2016, 2:03 PM
Rubber vacuum tube is pretty thick walled. If you don't have the room, flexible PVC or polyethylene water tubing from the hardware store is way thinner. Or, go one step further, just glue the wires directly into the fender...