PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts. Who needs em?

sixthirtytwo
06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
I've got an issue. The top motor mount bolt on my 76' XS650 is stuck stuck STUCK in the motor. Broke the head off, and it's ceased in beyond good. Both were stuck but I worked one out with lubrication, the front bolt will not move. I've tried everything I could think of and or have the tools to try. I even cut the damn bolt in half between the casings thinking it may relieve some of the pressure on it . Nothing works. Tried drilling it out, pounding it out, twisting it out. I don't want to spend the money to take it to a machine shop nor do I have the time to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please help a brother out. It's the last thing I need to get my motor finished and back in the frame.

Punkskalar
06-11-2010, 1:00 PM
XS650 top mount? I don't think any of my friends have ever used them. Mine are actually milled off to fit the tank closer to the engine...

On the other hand, those bolts don't actually thread into the head, should come right out???

malloy
06-11-2010, 4:14 PM
sounds like operator error to me.. so you are coming out with the engine?? did you remove the top one first?? try to take the top mount apart in the middle or use a pry bar and knock it off.. or get a big ass hammer and a punch... also you coulfd always take a cut-off wheel to it.

sixthirtytwo
06-11-2010, 5:54 PM
Definitely tried a big ass hammer and punch. Mushroomed the bolt before it even budged. I'm thinking about not even using em then. I'll take your word for it.