PDA

View Full Version : VL 800 peanut tank

RevDrBob
04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Im looking for tips/advice on mounting a peanut tank on a suzuki VL 800. Its a 2004 model and has two bars across the top of the frame, so the standard fit wont work. Also, the fuel taps on aftermarket tanks sit directly on one of the bars of the vl 800 frame, so that needs to be fitted elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

shortpork
04-25-2016, 10:31 AM
Probably need some pictures to get a good idea of what exactly is going on there. But regardless its sounds like youre gonna have to do some cutting/welding to get some random other tank to fit on your frame.

RevDrBob
04-25-2016, 6:24 PM

The main problem will be getting the fuel tap to fit, because its gonna hit that left side bar when it gets mounted. Could i mount a tap in the middle of the tank?
or on the side of the tank?

shortpork
04-25-2016, 9:24 PM
you already got the tank you wanna use?

Looks like you got lots of room in the middle

RevDrBob
04-26-2016, 12:21 AM
Havent bought one yet. As an aussie its a bit harder to get a tank, so ill be looking at a couple of hundred to get one. Wanted to see of it was feasible before going ahead.

I'll have to run a line past the carbie to make it work if i put it in the middle.

RevDrBob
04-26-2016, 12:22 AM
Havent bought one yet. As an aussie its a bit harder to get a tank, so ill be looking at a couple of hundred to get one. Wanted to see of it was feasible before going ahead.

I'll have to run a line past the carbie to make it work if i put it in the middle.

Jasonisdico
04-26-2016, 9:28 AM

The main problem will be getting the fuel tap to fit, because its gonna hit that left side bar when it gets mounted. Could i mount a tap in the middle of the tank?
or on the side of the tank?

The tank is also going to hit that front carb. And you'll still have to run a fuel pump. Fitting a sporty tank on there is a nightmare. I did it by cutting the shell off a sporty, and fitting it to the bottom tunnel of the stock tank. Got it to blend pretty well and got the look I was after.

shortpork
04-26-2016, 10:11 AM
The tank is also going to hit that front carb. And you'll still have to run a fuel pump. Fitting a sporty tank on there is a nightmare. I did it by cutting the shell off a sporty, and fitting it to the bottom tunnel of the stock tank. Got it to blend pretty well and got the look I was after.

There you go thats a good idea. Could be a bitch depending on how close the size of the two tanks are, but I'd imagine that would be your best bet/ least headache. Man looking at your pics again, thats a shitty setup for those of us wanting to do some chopping. Best of luck

shortpork
04-27-2016, 9:35 PM
That being said Im in the process of making my frame more tank universal. Cut out the air box and just gonna throw a straight pipe through there.

Jasonisdico
04-28-2016, 9:01 AM
That being said Im in the process of making my frame more tank universal. Cut out the air box and just gonna throw a straight pipe through there.

What you did won't work for Bob. He has a top carb that won't clear a single backbone. Hell, I went up 6" in the downtubes and still had to turn my carb at a 45* to clear it. Pics are in my thread. That was a lot of work. Retunneling a tank is the least work jntensive route.

shortpork
04-28-2016, 9:43 AM
^Agree. I was just showing some stuff I did that relates to what hes trying to do, make a peanut tank fit.

RevDrBob
04-30-2016, 2:45 AM
Thanks guys. It looks like more work than is worth the effort and australia has really strict rules about cutting into frames - it would cost a fortune to get the bike engineered for rego. May have to rethink the skinny look and go for big tank/wide ape bars.