PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies before a build..

dwood
04-19-2016, 8:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm planning on picking up an xs650..hopefully soon.
I have my eye on one in VA Beach.

I've been tossing ideas about what look I want and this is basically it (aside from color etc.):

https://kickwrench.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/5549495490_20baabeae1_b.jpg
here is the link in case that picture doesn't work.

Aside from the hardtail rear, tank, and hiding the battery, etc; what is required to achieve that look? Basically what other frame modifications will I be expecting to do? I really don't want to do my build and suddenly it doesn't look close to what I had in mind. I've only worked on race bikes so this whole idea of being creative and building a bike from an idea in my mind (and some other pictures) is very new and very different.

WarMullet
04-19-2016, 8:47 PM
Velocity stacks, brat style tires and spoked rims?

dwood
04-19-2016, 9:08 PM
Velocity stacks, brat style tires and spoked rims?

Yeah brat style tires and spoked rims I'm still tossing around. I just mean the frame itself. Basically does that bike look like it has had it's top tube modded to sit up higher? Or is that just the tank making me think that?

Sky
04-19-2016, 9:15 PM
Looks like mostly stock stuff with a hardtail and a sportster tank.
Forks are probably lowered to match the drop but the front loop of the frame looks stock. Looks like yamaha wheels and brakes. 18" and 19" I'd guess.
Stock controls. Vintage style tires.
Sprung saddle, fake oil tank to hide electronics, bates style headlamp, sidemount tag/tailight, and shaving off unwanted tabs.
Gotta rejet for the cutoff pipes and stacks. Minimal wiring
I can see the batt, btw.
Think that grain is ripe enough to harvest? At least it matches the flashhion. (fusion of flannel and fashion)

WarMullet
04-19-2016, 9:16 PM
Yeah brat style tires and spoked rims I'm still tossing around. I just mean the frame itself. Basically does that bike look like it has had it's top tube modded to sit up higher? Or is that just the tank making me think that?

That Pnut style tank always looks like it sits high like that on every bike I see them on. Not sure how people mount them though.

dwood
04-20-2016, 7:45 PM
Looks like mostly stock stuff with a hardtail and a sportster tank.
Forks are probably lowered to match the drop but the front loop of the frame looks stock. Looks like yamaha wheels and brakes. 18" and 19" I'd guess.
Stock controls. Vintage style tires.
Sprung saddle, fake oil tank to hide electronics, bates style headlamp, sidemount tag/tailight, and shaving off unwanted tabs.
Gotta rejet for the cutoff pipes and stacks. Minimal wiring
I can see the batt, btw.
Think that grain is ripe enough to harvest? At least it matches the flashhion. (fusion of flannel and fashion)

LOL yeah I think that grain is ready.
I'm definitely going to go for hiding the electronics with some neat old canister or whatever. I'm still deciding on what lamp to use.. Also thanks for the part about rejetting for the stacks and cut pipes. It makes sense that you have to do that, but I wasn't 100% positive.
I'm still on the fence about tires. I'd like to go brat style with white lettering, but we'll see. Now I just gotta talk to the guy with the bike. He was supposed to send more pics of the bike today, but he never did. Must not be in a hurry to sell it.

Sky
04-20-2016, 8:04 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but
Please, let's not start calling them Brat tires. Brat Style is the name of a shop in Japan. And yes they tend to use vintage style tires on their builds.
Say it with me "vin-tage-style", no capitals needed 'cause its not a thing.
Like Shinko Tire's 240 and 270 or Avon's R2. Lots of less than modern tech still available to wrap around our rims...

dwood
04-20-2016, 9:19 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but
Please, let's not start calling them Brat tires. Brat Style is the name of a shop in Japan. And yes they tend to use vintage style tires on their builds.
Say it with me "vin-tage-style", no capitals needed 'cause its not a thing.
Like Shinko Tire's 240 and 270 or Avon's R2. Lots of less than modern tech still available to wrap around our rims...

Ah gotcha. See I'm learning! That's what I'm here for.

Fad9567
04-21-2016, 7:42 PM
Its been a bit since I had my tank of my xs650 but the top tube shouldnt need to be chopped to get a tank up there. Just detabbed here and there