PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha roadstar

Hozm
04-17-2016, 8:16 PM
I would like some help, with my project. I am looking to bob my Yamaha roadstar 1600 midnight and I need help, advise and know how.
My 1st question is can I drill in to the swing arm frame without compromising the strength? I have a rear fender with brackets that I want to attach to it.
2nd question I am putting a car tire in the rear fits almost perfect except for some light rubbing on the break bracket, can I grind it down a little without wearing it?
3rd painting, never painted in my life, do I have to remove the paint to the raw metal or can I wet sand it put a base coat and paint it another color? If I can't how do I get it to the raw metal

21guns
04-18-2016, 4:17 AM
Cant honestly answer the first two questions but if you're doing a similar colour in painting, just sand the clear off then wet sand your paint down, lay down some primer and putty to fill any tiny dings, scratches, etc, sand and paint, wet sand between coats before clearing. Theres plenty of how to's on painting here. Thats just a basic guide.

Hozm
04-18-2016, 4:34 AM
No, I want to go from black to gray.

21guns
04-18-2016, 3:52 PM
Sand the clear off then paint it grey

Hozm
04-18-2016, 7:33 PM
Cool that makes it easier!

Sky
04-18-2016, 8:35 PM
Those swingarms are pretty beefy. Drill some holes and make a judgment call based on what you see in there.
If the wall is too thin to take thread, drill bigger holes and weld bungs in there.
Heck weld a fender mounting plate with holes in the plate if your really concerned.

Car tires are already an unsanctioned modification. don't think the lawyers will care if you shaved the brake bracket.
Again, if you feel the amount of material removed compromises it's integrity, brace it from the other side.

The existing paint is already filled, primed and such. Just scuff it enough for a smooth key and paint over it.

Hozm
04-19-2016, 3:28 PM
@Sky, sorry might have forgot to mention I have very little mechanical knowledge. I am not sure what bungs are or a fender mounting plate. Don't really know how to wield but would give it a try if I knew what those things were.
And what do you mean unsanctioned and the lawyers won't care??? And how would I brace the brake from the other side???

Hozm
04-19-2016, 7:35 PM
To give you guys a better Idea, A friend of mine (no longer around) built this yamaha roadster silvarado69016 I love the feel and the look of this bike. I lost the bike in a storm.6901569017 I bought a 2001 Yamaha roadstar 1600 midnight69035 and saved the tins from my old bike, In my naiveness I thought I could just bolt on the tins and I would have my bike back but there is more than that the rear fender I have has welded brackets but my swing arm does not have bracket holes69036 to bolt it on. Also I need to cut the seat brackets69037 and weld a front seat hold for the solo seat. The thing is I don't know how to weld which seems to be the biggest thing I need to do and am trying to see if there other ways for me to make it happen.

Sky
04-19-2016, 8:54 PM
There's chop guys in Orlando. Find them!
Can anyone recommend a good indy shop or fabricator in Orlando for Hozm?

Hozm
04-20-2016, 7:29 AM
Sky, I am working with limited funds so I have to most if not all myself. That is why I am seeking help. Since the site is called chop cult I figured there will be a lot of people here that can me ideas direct me and even show me at least that is what I am hoping for!!

Westboundbiker
04-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Hozm, Bungs are pretty much just weld nuts, but much taller- like this: http://www.bungking.com/1-cope-1-o-d-threaded-bungs/. A tab, welded to the frame with a hole in it for a bolt can achieve the same end result, but doesn't look as good. I'd recommend reading around some other threads, and seeing what they're doing- chances are there's something like you're talking about on the site already. If not, just keep asking questions, and trying things out.

Sky
04-20-2016, 9:01 PM
Best thing you can do is find someone who knows what they're doing and make friendly.
Even if it's a shop, hang around, sweep up, help carry heavy shit, bring a cold six pack at the end of the day, that kind of friendly.
Don't expect anyone to hold your hand for free. Maybe, set your shit up how you want, do the prep and pay someone to "just" do the welding part.

Hozm
04-21-2016, 4:52 AM
Thanks Sky, makes sense

Hozm
04-21-2016, 7:00 AM
@westboundbiker, that is a great idea. I wil check that out. Thanks