PDA

View Full Version : tire size

kadnum
04-17-2016, 8:01 PM
Hi all i was just wondering if someone could help me out with some research i'm doing . I just bought a 1983 yamaha maxim 650 , how can i find out what is the largest size rear and front tires i can fit on it ? Thanks for any help you guys can give me in advance.

cggorman
04-18-2016, 6:20 AM
Careful measurements. Tire manufacturers usually have specification/dimension charts on their websites for each of the different models/sizes.

Westboundbiker
04-18-2016, 6:52 AM
look on the existing tires, there should be sizes embossed on them.

Sky
04-18-2016, 1:02 PM
If you ditch or modify the front fender you can go much wider than stock.
Chain/ belt drive sprockets/pulleys can be offset till the chain hits the frame/swingarm and or the front sprocket/pulley hits something. Shaft drives, not so much.
Under fender hardware protrusion can be minimized, swingarms can be clearanced. fenders can be widened. Check for wiring interference.

Be mindful of the tires aspect ratio, tells you how tall the tire is as a percentage of the width. This can alter ride hight, up and down fender clearance, swingarm clearance, etc

If you wanna know what will fit under stock tins, with no modifications, ask a Maxim forum. Probably listed under FAQs.

Sky
04-18-2016, 1:09 PM
If you want to open a can of worms, look into "dark-siding". AKA running a car tire.

kadnum
04-18-2016, 4:22 PM
Thanks for all the replys back . I've already taken off the front fender , think it looks better with no fender and yes its a shaft drive so i'm hoping to atleast increase the rear tire size alittle , it has a 130/90/16 on it now

cggorman
04-18-2016, 5:31 PM
You'll need to determine what the limiting factor is. I'm assuming it's the shaft. Measure the distance from the side of the existing tire to the nearest hard point. Double that distance and add it to the current tire OVERALL width (may or may not be the stated tread width. Look it up, if possible). The result will be roughly your absolute maximum tire width without offsetting the rim and/or hub. I wouldn't run the absolute widest. You need to allow room for tire and suspension squirm, tire rollover, etc. At least 1/4" per side, I'd say.

For example, at first glance my closest hard point is the swingarm. But, after fitting a 200mm and all the proper spacers it's actually the inner primary cover. To get adequate clearance between the tire and chain I had to space out the sprocket until it hit the primary housing....and still didn't have any space for the chain. My swingarm will take at least 220mm...but not without offsetting the primary...

kadnum
04-18-2016, 6:41 PM
Ok thanks cggorman i'll do some measuring then