PDA

View Full Version : 1980 FXE. Chop or not?

offthemacadam
04-16-2016, 6:50 PM
Might not be the best place to get opinions from both sides but I have a 1980 FXE all original(just need to find the stock pipes). 32k miles, everything works and she runs great. I want a shovel chop more than anything but do I use this bike or wait until I get another? I've had so many people tell me not to touch it. "Put that fucking bike in a shed and forget you own it" was one quote. Just looking for some opinions on this.

panheadpete
04-16-2016, 7:17 PM
It's your bike and a lot of guys will tell you to do what YOU want with it - there will be a loud chorus here to chop it (expected if you look at the name of the place LOL) but building/owning bikes isnt about bravado in my book

Some thing to consider is IMHO the FXE's are probably the least desirable of the BTs and will never bring big $ compared to a FXWG and FLH but in original condition are still somewhat desirable

Personally like you Id be torn - a nice original bike that hasnt been fucked with is a great start to a build as you arent working with someone eles's short cuts etc and you have a title with good VINs etc

On the other hand chopping something like that original up (even if well executed) kinda sucks

If you do decide to sell it and go another route please reach out as I may be interested having owned what sounds like an almost identical bike 15 years ago

Tattooo
04-16-2016, 7:36 PM
I say NOT......... It's worth more now than it will be after it's chopped... Or ever again.....

offthemacadam
04-16-2016, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitely won't be selling it anytime soon. I'm more concerned about the future. In 25-30 years will it be worth anything? Or will it at least be a cool show piece? Worth me leaving it in this ugly state and not really enjoying it for that long when I could have made it into what I really wanted? Clearly I'm more for chopping it but there's still that doubt. Will I be kicking myself in the ass in the future for messing with it?

DustyDave
04-16-2016, 8:20 PM
Dam thought I was on Chopcult but somehow I am at a stock preservation forum. I better get out of here before you all talk me into putting my Indians back stock!
Chop that sucker!
Dusty

Tattooo
04-16-2016, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitely won't be selling it anytime soon. I'm more concerned about the future. In 25-30 years will it be worth anything? Or will it at least be a cool show piece? Worth me leaving it in this ugly state and not really enjoying it for that long when I could have made it into what I really wanted? Clearly I'm more for chopping it but there's still that doubt. Will I be kicking myself in the ass in the future for messing with it?

How about posting a pic of how it looks now...... Here is my stock original paint 16,000 mile 1979 FXS

farmall
04-16-2016, 9:52 PM
Shovels are the next "Panhead" as the original population shrinks by age and consumption for custom builds. Some of us old farts remember when Pans were cheap...

There are plenty of non-original Shovels out there for slaying. I'd just add another bike to the fleet and keep the stocker stock-ish. I'd also collect NOS parts where they are a deal.

The bonus of that plan is you get TWO Shovels. They won't always be plentiful so why not? If you do chop it, stash all the stock parts. Twenty or thirty years flies by.

Jessechop
04-17-2016, 6:11 AM

Don't think that far ahead, it isn't promised.

Build what you want to build but look at what you are using. For example if you are using the engine, front half of the frame and one wheel it might be better to start with something else.

SlyJJ
04-17-2016, 9:39 AM
I say chop the piss out of it. My sporty was *almost* old enough to be titled as a classic (maybe a few more years) and the entirey thing was stock when I got it (for $800) no less. People said the same thing to me.

Fuck it. I don't collect bikes, I ride the shit out of them. If it were a panhead, I'd say yeah be ginger. Even if it ages and its "OMG worth $100,000" do you really plan on selling it? Everyone I know that has these bikes doesn't want to sell them but then talks about the worth of it. If you don't sell it then value (from a monetary perspective) is a moot point.

As so many have said, its a personal choice here. Sounds like you've got lots of people telling you to keep it stock and probably even put it in a time cap or something. Do that if that's what you want. If you want to chop it you wont be making a "wrong" choice. Have fun.

Whoremonger
04-17-2016, 11:29 AM
How about posting a pic of how it looks now...... Here is my stock original paint 16,000 mile 1979 FXS

If your bike is as nice as tatoo's it would be a crime to chop

Tattooo
04-17-2016, 2:35 PM
I say chop the piss out of it. My sporty was *almost* old enough to be titled as a classic (maybe a few more years) and the entirey thing was stock when I got it (for $800) no less.
Yep if we were talking about a Sporty...... Yep fuck it, chop it.........But were talking about a stock Shovel... There is a difference......

Tattooo
04-17-2016, 2:36 PM
If your bike is as nice as tatoo's it would be a crime to chop

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

farmall
04-17-2016, 5:48 PM
My sporty was *almost* old enough to be titled as a classic (maybe a few more years) and the entirey thing was stock when I got it (for $800) no less. People said the same thing to me.

Not anyone with a clue. It's not the age but the model.

SlyJJ
04-17-2016, 8:01 PM
Yep if we were talking about a Sporty...... Yep fuck it, chop it.........But were talking about a stock Shovel... There is a difference......

Well yeah, its not appropriate to really equate a sporty to a shovel- but whatever, I think I would have done the same thing even if it were a shovel.

SlyJJ
04-17-2016, 8:04 PM
Not anyone with a clue. It's not the age but the model.

Yeah, I wish craiglist sellers could comprehend this.....

Tattooo
04-17-2016, 9:09 PM
Well yeah, its not appropriate to really equate a sporty to a shovel- but whatever, I think I would have done the same thing even if it were a shovel.

It's your bike you can what ever you want with it..........

SamHain
04-17-2016, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't butcher it. There are a million basket shovels people thought they were gonna build choppers out of you can start with. shits only original once. sell it to me I've got some unchopped shovels to park it next to, no fxe yet.

seaking
04-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Since you've chopped the ironhead (assuming) I would keep the shovel stock....I like having one daily with suspension in Michigan. I feel you pain though, every time I take my low-mile stocker out, it's right around the 30 year mark and the guilt trip's getting a little out of control. I did chop a 78 FXS that was really close to stock, low mile and in great shape---the rings were installed with the gaps in line, it had a repaint from OG and a few bits that were hard to find missing, like the bars, risers, grips, etc. It's now in a million pieces, has been for a year--but that guilt trip's gone!

Since you're thinking about it, try tracking down the stock exhaust and other bits it's missing, if you finish it, enter it in an AMCA event with a price tag. If you sell it, you got a good deal and it went to a good home. I've also had luck posting on CL with a high price but pointing out that it was stock. Just sit back and wait, keep it current and someone will roll on through.

gusjustgus
04-19-2016, 11:16 AM
CHOP IT. or BOB IT.

You may want to do a full frame swap. Not hard to do.
There are a lot of great DVD's on how to. They make for a good reference tool, if you see it done it pick up more than in the best book.
I used Build a hog inc. Yah, the guy is a jackass, but it helped a lot.

You can also find a lot of welder who will do anything you need done for cheap, if you don't weld yourself.
Most tabs will take them like 5 mins.

Frame+doner bike= cheat chopper.
$800 + you got it =kick ass chopper.
You will have a ride that you can call yours.
This is all Roland Sands does. His words not mine.

As my old man a life long hardcore biker once said
"If us greasy assholes can build a bike it ain't rocket science.."

I started with a old, ugly, oil spiting, basket case, of a 77 FXE. now I have a nasty evil chop. But pretty with clean lines is no harder, you will need nicer parts.
Chicks dig nasty, well the ones i like do.

If you frame swap, you will not mess up your stock frame. But never get rid of it you. registration stuff.
I just did it all so if you have a question i can try to help.

Don't forget it's not a 76, or a generator shovel. I love them but cone shovels are not and probably never will be "collector items"

Tattooo
04-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Don't forget it's not a 76, or a generator shovel. I love them but cone shovels are not and probably never will be "collector items"

I wish there was a way??????????? But you wanna bet??? That's what they said about 45s, Pans and Knucks and look where they are today......................

mrhammer2u
04-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitely won't be selling it anytime soon. I'm more concerned about the future. In 25-30 years will it be worth anything?

I'm waging it will be worth a small fortune since all our pans and shovels are being crammed into shipping containers and sent to Japan. In 25 years we'll all be IMPORTING our pan/shovels....or buying yours.

Chop or not to chop?
I see the same prices being fetched for chopped and stock bikes,...since so many people want to chop them anyway. Just do it right and you'll be good. Even if you do a hack job, the value is in the motor and you could part it out for value.

$.02

gusjustgus
04-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Yah, but remember how ugly a 1980 fxe was.
It's perfect fit for a chop.

As long as you have the engine in good condition you get close to the same money.
I'm saying you are spot on, when you said he should do what he likes.
The bikes on this site have should not be something you put away like a jewel.
As my pop also said
"In like a thousand years a 86 Camry in mint condition will be worth a lot, but who want to wait.."

SamHain
04-20-2016, 9:34 PM

eh? aside from the aircleaner they look great, and better than 90% of the chops out there......

Tattooo
04-21-2016, 7:28 AM

Might be might be,,,, But beauty to one is ugly to another remember that............