PDA

View Full Version : 82 Maxim 400 Build Thread

dgb3
04-16-2016, 5:44 PM
So I'm new here, been nosing around the past couple days trying to decide what I want to do. I have a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 all original, mint condition, just over 8,000 miles, runs perfect. I've ridden many bikes but this is the only one I have anymore and this was my first bike. So it has some sentimental value.

Anyways I'm thinking about chopping/bobbing/modifying it into something more of what I want in a bike. I've been doing lots of research the past couple days trying to figure out exactly what I want out of it and getting ideas and I have come up with some ideas.

I guess my question is, since this is going to be my first dip in motorcycle modding, how hard is it to do this and am I going to regret modding my bike? Mind you I'm not an idiot and I do know what I'm doing when it comes to vehicles because I used to be a mechanic before I decided to change careers to gunsmithing.

Also what are some good sites and places to look for parts and everything. I'd like to try and reuse as much from the original bike as I can I really just want to lower and stretch and make it a solo seat.

Any help or feedback will be greatly appericated!

Westboundbiker
04-17-2016, 7:47 PM
It'll be a bit of a challenge, since it's got the suspended engine, but there have been people who have messed with them in the past. I know I've seen at least one thread around here.

Born2run
04-18-2016, 5:03 PM
Hey dgb ,

Brings back memories as a maxim 400 (83 model) was my first bike. back in the chop craze of a decade ago I looked for ways to do that but never found a good one. Funny part is many motorcycles later that freaking bike is still buzzing around my little town. It was fun. Good luck and keep us in the loop if you try and rock it out.

NC

dgb3
04-21-2016, 7:58 AM
So I started to do a little routine maintenance on the bike and found some issues I need to address first before I decide weather or not to chop/bob the bike, plus I had a tire blow out on my truck so I had to fork out a bunch of money for new tires. So the bike project has been put on hold for now. Thanks for the help though guys.