PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the Shadow project

willshooter3
04-15-2016, 8:06 AM
So, I painted the stock tank and front fender the other day-fender ain't going back on the bike.
Now I'm cleaning up wiring, carbs and other issues...
Anyone know of a source for struts to replace the rear springs or is this just a DIY fab project?
Pics up if I can load them...

sdustin
04-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Little more info maybe? There isn't just one shadow

willshooter3
04-15-2016, 12:11 PM
'85 Vt500C... shaftie... 50K on the clock... carbs were, lets say... philthy?
Going to a solo seat-mock that up this weekend-changing bars, cleaning up electrics. Losing the speedo and tach (anyone know where all THAT wiring goes to?) Need to fab up a little "dash" for the idiot/indicator lights....

Westboundbiker
04-15-2016, 1:36 PM
Just leave the shocks on... struts scream "look at how tough I am!!!!1!!!1!!" They serve no purpose otherwise. They don't make the bike look any better, don't increase performance, they just look like a poser's hardtail. If you want a hardtail, build it! You can do it dude- we're all here to help.

willshooter3
04-15-2016, 3:26 PM
Yeah. Looked at the weld on universal from TC...
Rode a hard tailed Harley a while back-dunno if I'm ready to cough up a kidney yet...lol...

sdustin
04-15-2016, 11:39 PM
'85 Vt500C... shaftie... 50K on the clock... carbs were, lets say... philthy?
Going to a solo seat-mock that up this weekend-changing bars, cleaning up electrics. Losing the speedo and tach (anyone know where all THAT wiring goes to?) Need to fab up a little "dash" for the idiot/indicator lights....

About wiring? Are you going to completely remove bar switches? Reuse factory controls? I suggest a mini speedo. I'm going to assume of you are willing to removethe speedo your not concerned with legality which would mean no turn signals? If so I suggest removing all the switchs rewiring a start switch removing the unsued wires in the harness, that would dramatically clean up the bars. Then get a single cable throttle housing.

willshooter3
04-16-2016, 4:45 PM
Actually here in Texas, we need only brake light lp light hi/lo beam and indicator. Planning on moving those indicators down a bit. Dont need a speedo. Planning on moving controls a little bit forward. Bars are staying-for now. Thinking about drag bars on a three inch riser. Keeps stock cables.

sdustin
04-16-2016, 8:14 PM
Willshooter I have sweet mr luckys black bottom mount head light with a hi beam indicator and brass as well as copper ring I may be willing to sell. It's never been installed brand new. Doesn't really work for me. pm me if you want to buy it.

willshooter3
04-16-2016, 9:40 PM
Got a pic?
Spent a few minutes tonight drilling out one of the screws in the front master cylinder.
Fun fun fun.... And what did I find inside? Nothing. Nope. Nada. Zilch. Zero fluid.
Wow.

sdustin
04-17-2016, 5:05 PM
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/20160408_164055_zpstx4tfqpz.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/20160408_164055_zpstx4tfqpz.jpg.html)

willshooter3
04-18-2016, 3:36 PM
What are you looking for?