PDA

View Full Version : Would 2K clear melt or otherwise destroy a vinyl record?

BigAssSack
04-12-2016, 9:36 AM
Really Strange question for sure, but I'm worried about the solvents in the clear ruining a piece I'm working on. Anyone have a junk record and a quick shot of 2K they could give it a try for me?

7and7is
04-13-2016, 8:21 PM
Can I ask what the piece is and whats on it that you are worried the 2K would damage?

BigAssSack
04-14-2016, 8:25 AM
I'm worried about the solvents in the clear dissolving or bubbling the actual vinyl record itself. I'm working on a proof of concept for a fender, but if the vinyl would hold up to the clear coating process, I have a lot more I want to do with it.

cggorman
04-14-2016, 11:28 AM
I have lots of records but never seen the 2K paint around here.

7and7is
04-14-2016, 7:39 PM
Proof of concept is a realization of a certain method or idea to demonstrate its feasibility, or a demonstration in principle, whose purpose is to verify that some concept or theory has the potential of being used. A proof of concept is usually small and may or may not be complete.

Had to look that up, well not sure what you are wanting to go over (Besides the record) I painted over some enamel engine paint with ceramic with no wrinkling, bubbling, or any ill effects, also over a galvanized fender with no adhesion problems, if that helps.

BigAssSack
04-15-2016, 1:33 PM
This is an extreme example, but you know how if you put gas in a styrofoam cup, it will eat the styrofoam? I'm wondering if the clearcoat would have a similar effect on the vinyl. I know how brittle old records can be, and I've had a lot of success bending and twisting them applying a little heat from a hair dryer, but even too much heat will cause them to start bubbling and warping. I'm worried that when I get the shape I want and I apply clear to it all, it may distort or warp or soften and deteriorate in a similar manner to the gas/cup scenario. I may just buy a can of 2K just to try it out for myself. If I get around to it soon, I'll post up results for anyone that may be interested.

boomboomthump
04-15-2016, 1:48 PM
I don't think it would have any affect on it at all.

BuddhahoodVato
04-16-2016, 5:03 PM
Permalac, end of worries................
This is an extreme example, but you know how if you put gas in a styrofoam cup, it will eat the styrofoam? I'm wondering if the clearcoat would have a similar effect on the vinyl. I know how brittle old records can be, and I've had a lot of success bending and twisting them applying a little heat from a hair dryer, but even too much heat will cause them to start bubbling and warping. I'm worried that when I get the shape I want and I apply clear to it all, it may distort or warp or soften and deteriorate in a similar manner to the gas/cup scenario. I may just buy a can of 2K just to try it out for myself. If I get around to it soon, I'll post up results for anyone that may be interested.

CarloFreeze
04-18-2016, 8:05 AM
It would be fine to spray paint a record. I've done it before for some projects in the past. They are made out of Poly-vinyl chloride or PVC so fear not my friend.

BigAssSack
04-19-2016, 8:12 AM
Right on, thanks guys!