PDA

View Full Version : Dual shock to monoshock

shortpork
04-05-2016, 5:04 AM
Got a vt800 shaft drive I'm wanting to convert to a mono shock setup. Looked all over the web and can't find much in the 'how to' category. I'm interested in using a street bike coil over. Read something about using the whole swing arm? That doesn't seem right. I'm clearly a noob but working on it. Give me some stuff to read please

OleDirtyDoc
04-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Yup would need new swingarm.and top mount.would so need a space for the driveshaft to run through.unless you have mad crazy fabrication skills or a wallet the size of the Donald to farm it out it ain't gonna be bolt on

OleDirtyDoc
04-05-2016, 12:51 PM
I know viragos are shaft driven/mono for a few years.you could probably mod your existing swingarm

shortpork
04-05-2016, 8:26 PM
I mean I'm not scared to do some fab. I got the time. I just want to read something that can explain it to the point that I can understand if it's within my capibilities/budget.

sdustin
04-06-2016, 1:27 AM
Redesiging the entire swing arm and subframe. Not an easy task at all. I'd look at getting an early year varigo they are already what your looking for. And no offense but if you can't look at it and imagine what it'll take and know if it's within your capabilities it's probably not within your capabilities.now for the question. Your be better off making an entire swing arm and redesigning the subframe to handle the top of the shock. It's a lot to undertake. Or you could always get a vt600 and make it look like this.http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/20160403_155916-1_zpszsoz4u7q.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/20160403_155916-1_zpszsoz4u7q.jpg.html)

nerdsports
04-06-2016, 1:34 PM
Your budget is determined by the shock you run. The rest is scrap material (tubing & plate).
The most important part is the engineering behind it. The angle of the shock, the mounting points, the spring rate of the shock, etc. I've winged it twice.

The first time I used an R6 shock and it somehow worked. The second time I started with an R6 shock but was way too soft (must've been the angles and/or length of swingarm) so I went with a KTM linkless shock.

You can look up different setups and figure something out.

farmall
04-06-2016, 3:02 PM
Looks like there is room to combine a VT 600 rear suspension with your 800. Dime City cleared out all the space between the rear cylinder and rear tire on their cafe 800. Leave the monoshock open so bystanders can wonder how it got there.

Pic is a 600 swingarm I harvested. It's spoken for but you can visualize how you might keep most of your stock swingarm and add the upper section and monoshock. Owner will trim off the adjusters and unused pivot then join it to his GS 1000 swingarm. If you want you could mount the frame-side shock eye in a tack-welded channel at first to check geometry.

Complete swingarms are like fifty bucks on Ebay. I didn't feel like carrying the fucker so I sawzalled off the excess but you might find a use for the metal such as stylish reinforcement under the swingarm. Shocks are cheap too.

shortpork
04-06-2016, 6:00 PM
I would agree that if I can't visualize what I need it's not within my current capabilities. But I also think with enough research, to where I can grasp what it is I need to do, then I think I'm capable. Like I said though I need a walk through to read. Can anyone provide me with a link to a site or forum?

Jasonisdico
04-07-2016, 9:22 AM
I would agree that if I can't visualize what I need it's not within my current capabilities. But I also think with enough research, to where I can grasp what it is I need to do, then I think I'm capable. Like I said though I need a walk through to read. Can anyone provide me with a link to a site or forum?

That's what people are trying to say, there is no step by step instructions for your exact application. It's a custom job that needs a thinking mind. You may be able to track down a dual to mono shock conversion in step by step pictures from other bikes. But if you need your hand held throughout, it may be beyond your capabilities. I converted a Savage 650 to a mono shock from dual and stretched the swingarm 5" to get the seat lower(wife's bike). A lot of that it measure, cut, tack, check. Then repeat.

shortpork
04-07-2016, 2:10 PM
Understood. Im not ready, yet.

joespeedboat
04-11-2016, 4:22 AM
You will never be ready if you don't try. Try to find cheap parts that you can hack up and use them to find Your path to wisdom. It might be difficult and it might take a long time, but you will learn a lot from it and it is fun doing so. Just make sure it is safe!!

shortpork
04-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Thank you joe! That was my plan anywho. I just didn't want to listen to people telling me I can't do it. Obviously it's hard, confusing, timeconsuming, whatever but there's only one way to learn. Worst case, scrap it and start over

DKerr
04-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Useless you're pretty attached to the bike it might be easier and cheaper to get a mono shock VT. I got mine for a pretty good price. I cut the fender mount off, welded a mounting plate
with bungs straight to the swing arm and attached the back of the fender to the sissy bar. Its a 1996 VT600 (One exhaust pipe is still off and I didn't put the battery in yet when I took the photo. )

*HOW THE HELL DO YOU POST LARGE PHOTOS?!?!?!?!?

Westboundbiker
04-19-2016, 1:13 PM
*HOW THE HELL DO YOU POST LARGE PHOTOS?!?!?!?!?

Host the images on imgur.com, or another external image hosting site. Then, when you make a post, click on the little icon at the top of the replay that looks like a tree in a frame, 3rd icon from the right. It will give you the option to either post from your computer (which is looks like you did already) or from a URL. Do not select host locally. Then you will have a large image! Even if you upload from your computer straight to this site, and image may look small in your post, by clicking on it, you will enlarge it. So the photo in your post looks fine, so long as you go click on it.

53Bash
04-19-2016, 3:49 PM
What people say above is true regarding difficulty is true but you can also just jump in full gonzo if you are willing to scrap it... like how I did mine. Its more "post apoc sport bike" than "chopper", but I put a lot of thought in on the springs.

http://i.imgur.com/I5J18yw.jpg

Finding the right shock & mounting setup was a bitch. There's a bunch of math that really only showed me the shocks I had would not work, so I basically ended up buying a junkyard shock from a bike that had the same weight & rear travel as mine, then figuring out a place to mount it that would compress the shock through its full stroke given the full wheel travel. Its not perfect, but its in the ballpark. If I was doing it again, I'd be sure to go for something with a spring that is easy to replace, because the chances of getting it wrong are pretty high even with some planning; high leverage ratios mean that location changes of 1mm can be significant. I also ended up buying a spare swing arm (only $10 on Ebay) because I changed my mind regarding the swing arm needing bracing. I wouldn't suggest this as a good solution for general use, but it worked for me and shows how creative you might need to get to make what you have work, if you aren't effectively rebuilding much of the rear end. Sketchy as it looks, it held a 2,000 lb load test, and frame flex left vs right sides was within 20%. The wheel bearings are all to the left of the axle center-line, right side is just empty space for the drum brake, so its not as crazy making it single sided as it might seem.

I did the front end after the back, and ended up with better shock behavior despite a more complicated setup. Spring is a bit soft, I think I'm going to move the upper link mount forward to increase spring rate / decrease travel.

sdustin
04-20-2016, 6:13 AM
53bash you got more pics of that bike. I'm very interested

53Bash
04-20-2016, 8:31 AM
Plenty of pics in my build thread over on Customfighters.com (http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115961)

DKerr
04-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Host the images on imgur.com, or another external image hosting site. Then, when you make a post, click on the little icon at the top of the replay that looks like a tree in a frame, 3rd icon from the right. It will give you the option to either post from your computer (which is looks like you did already) or from a URL. Do not select host locally. Then you will have a large image! Even if you upload from your computer straight to this site, and image may look small in your post, by clicking on it, you will enlarge it. So the photo in your post looks fine, so long as you go click on it.

Thanks duder

53Bash
04-21-2016, 1:59 PM
Or, while typing, just type paste_image_Url_here (assumes image is hosted somewhere that the viewer can access and which doesn't block 'hotlinks' - imgur.com is a good pick for that).

shortpork
04-21-2016, 2:35 PM
Thanks for the replys guys! Bash that is a sick looking bike! Good job figuring all that shit up. How did you test you rear spring angle? Tac weld, test, grind off, repeat? And I'm assuming you pulled the shock off a rice burner?