PDA

View Full Version : BC Canada Members! Questions:

CoLoNpEe
04-02-2016, 6:42 PM
Hi,

Moving to BC soon, whats bike life like out there? I would like some info on Insurance and inspections and whatnot? Am I going to be gouged with my 1200 sporty?

klondikekid64
04-03-2016, 6:46 PM
Depends where your moving to, Vancouver Island/lower mainland is biker friendly and good riding, rainy winters suck though. B.C. has a insurance monopoly ICBC, "insurance corp of b.c." my rate for a bike is about $65 a month for basic insurance with good driving record, they have a monthly payment plan wich is nice. the further you get away from the coast the colder and snowier it gets, but good summer riding. you might have to get an inspection if your from out of province most likely? should be some more info online at ICBC's site. Where you moving to?

CoLoNpEe
04-03-2016, 6:51 PM
Looking at coquitlam area to start... coming from NS... just wondering about front fender and the likes, she'll pass, I just need to put the horn and front signals back on it... are the inspections pricey? and are they one time or every couple years? would one mirror or two need for a pass? I only have one mirror on it....

klondikekid64
04-03-2016, 8:29 PM
Pretty sure you need all your standard safetey stuff, fenders too, most good bike garages are certifiet to do inspections, not sure about cost, shouldn't be too bad, it's a one time deal, then you can take your fender off, straight pipes on, put your brake light back on the side, etc. the cops are pretty good, but if you stir up shit they get out the ticket book, pretty sure icbc site has list of regulations, mirrors, handle bar height, etc. I think you'll enjoy this side of the country.

Beefdrippings
04-04-2016, 11:29 AM
You can use an underwriter like Beacon for insurance. Go to an Autoplan office and ask about it. Should be Lots of bikes/bike nights out in the Coq and surrounding burbs.

mountainryder
04-04-2016, 3:21 PM
I have brought 2 bikes from Ontario here (port Moody BC), no inspection was needed as bikes were licenced in Ontario. I have rode for years with no front fender, the cops didn't mind, but wet roads suck with no front fender, lol. My insurance with full coverage is about $1100 for 6 months for my 1200 Sportster, yet only $350 a year for my 250cc honda bobber. The riding is awesome once you get away from city traffic. There is a monthly moto meet in Burnaby during riding season. Lots of other stuff also

klondikekid64
04-04-2016, 10:33 PM
Yikes 1100 for 6mos. full coverage? I was going to go full cover, but I didn't think it would jump that much, how's you driving abstract?

mountainryder
04-05-2016, 3:57 PM
My driving record is almost perfect, even had my bike licence for 30years now. ICBC are dicks, they charge through the roof for bigger bikes, they want everyone to ride fucking scooters or something, lol

klondikekid64
04-05-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm going to get my Suzuki gt750 insured any day now, and get full coverage, I'll update later and post what it cost for 6months. I'm in Victoria b.c. I don't like the monopoly that ICBC has on insurance in this province, but I have to admit when you do get run over while riding they take pretty good care of you $$$, bike repairs/replacement, damaged clothes and helmet, mileage to and from docs etc. pain and suffering, lost wages, if it didn't hurt so bad it would be a good living...almost.

dannyrds
04-06-2016, 6:33 AM
I live in Port Coquitlam and haven't had any problems. No front fender, one mirror, side mounted tail light. One thing they are cracking down on is noise, mostly a problem in Vancouver. If you aren't riding like an asshole and it isn't too loud you should be ok. Having plate horizontal will get you pulled over.

corpse
04-08-2016, 3:38 PM
I have brought 2 bikes from Ontario here (port Moody BC), no inspection was needed as bikes were licenced in Ontario. I have rode for years with no front fender, the cops didn't mind, but wet roads suck with no front fender, lol. My insurance with full coverage is about $1100 for 6 months for my 1200 Sportster, yet only $350 a year for my 250cc honda bobber. The riding is awesome once you get away from city traffic. There is a monthly moto meet in Burnaby during riding season. Lots of other stuff also

you didn't have to get an inspection because your bikes were registered in ontario??
Im also moving to BC, vancouver area. My bike is registered and inspected (not plated) in ontario. I wonder if I will have to inspect it. That is what has been stressing me out. No signals, no horn/speedo, not front brake, side mounted licence plate...

mountainryder
04-08-2016, 4:10 PM
you didn't have to get an inspection because your bikes were registered in ontario??
Im also moving to BC, vancouver area. My bike is registered and inspected (not plated) in ontario. I wonder if I will have to inspect it. That is what has been stressing me out. No signals, no horn/speedo, not front brake, side mounted licence plate...

Both my bikes had already been plated in Ontario, in my name. All I had to do was let an ICBC agent see them, only to check VIN, no inspection. Once a bike is registered and plated in BC, no inspections are needed. Cops here DO want to see signals on the bike, (and speedo), I stuck some bar end signals on my last bike, they didn't work, but were there, lol. Also had a tiny speedo (not hooked up!), just for show. I had a side mounted plate, (vertical), got pulled over, and the cop told me to mount it horizontal, bring it to his station for him to see. I mounted it off the axel horizontaly, he said it was ok. I see plenty of death trap choppers out here, some dudes get away with it, others are not so lucky, or as good at playing in the grey areas of the law

corpse
04-08-2016, 4:21 PM
Interesting. Maybe I should call ICBC and figure that out. What a relief it will be if I don't need an inspection. I guess we will see. I was afraid of the licence plate thing, I'll make a horizontal mount. Be a shame to get pulled over for that and then be screwed with lots of other tickets. I assume they are way more strict in Vancouver city. Not so much outside of?
Thanks for the info!