PDA

View Full Version : 21 days under the sun is on netflix

montuckymatt
04-01-2016, 11:21 PM
Its under the title "highways". I'm kinda pissed I preordered it and here I sit watching it right now...,and so far eh.......it's OK

Natehate
04-02-2016, 8:40 AM
that fucking sucks

montuckymatt
04-02-2016, 9:07 AM
Well, I watched the whole movie...I gave it two stars it was boring at times
A couple of cool scenes but for the most part it was way overdone. Too much poetry man worship bullshit. I guess what else would you expect from dice. It was almost embarrassing at times. The whole open road, brotherhood, hard journey, american loser stuff. Nothing original here but some decent footage and decent background noise while doing other important things.

BadMonkeyMW
04-02-2016, 9:12 AM
It is an 'interesting' marketing strategy to take pre-sale orders and then turn around and have it on Netflix. Thanks for the heads up though, I'm going to watch it there while I cook my kid some breakfast. Cheers.

montuckymatt
04-02-2016, 9:30 AM
Agreed. Well dice got me once for 17 bucks...never again.

Rodderz
04-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Wonder if this was a cock up by Netflix?

AlbertaFarmer
04-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Watched the first five minutes, looks awful. Why even make a movie about a twenty one day trip, I do that yearly and don't even take a picture. You could film half the posters on ADV riders and come up with something more interesting.

FredoSNR
04-03-2016, 2:18 AM
I watched it, it was alright. Some okay riding shots. It would have been a lot better without the overly dramatic faux cowboy narrator. Also, the entire film is about their ride to the brooklyn invitational, then when they get there, they park and the credits roll. They don't show any of the bikes there or the event or anything. Very anti-climatic. I gave it a 5 star because I want to see Netflix fund more riding films, but it wasn't amazing.

Natehate
04-03-2016, 8:32 AM
i'm sending them an email
i suggest others do as well

BadMonkeyMW
04-03-2016, 10:34 AM
I watched it, it was alright. Some okay riding shots. It would have been a lot better without the overly dramatic faux cowboy narrator. Also, the entire film is about their ride to the brooklyn invitational, then when they get there, they park and the credits roll. They don't show any of the bikes there or the event or anything. Very anti-climatic. I gave it a 5 star because I want to see Netflix fund more riding films, but it wasn't amazing.

Agreed. The riding footage and all that was pretty good, but the narrator was fucking terrible. It all sounded like one long Dark Custom commercial.

Natehate
04-03-2016, 11:20 AM
check my instagram account mrnatehate

they deleted my posts on their page
but i wont be deleting anything

nickey
04-03-2016, 1:16 PM
In the same boat as many of you. Excited to watch this, then "eh" afterwards. Montuckymatt said it. It just tried too hard. I did enjoy the riding shots, a lot of the music, some of the novel like narration and the vintage footage. Them meeting up with tom fugle was pretty cool too.

slinginrods
04-03-2016, 3:14 PM
I liked it. It would have been cool to showcase the guys building the bikes ,then some of the show afterwards.an extra hour of content there would have made all the difference.still pretty good. Though.

BerserkerBlue
04-03-2016, 3:33 PM
I was hyped for 6over and felt it was a letdown, so I hadn't really had any interest in this one. Sucks ya'll got burned though. That kinda shit is just plain getting old. Seems ripoffs are more and more common anymore.

Kalashnikov47
04-03-2016, 4:00 PM
I didn't hate it, but I'm glad it was free on Netflix. Too much hipster soul searching one with the road one with the machine enlightenment. I too was bummed they didn't have any footage at the Brooklyn Invitational, just pull up and roll credits.

74Ironlung
04-03-2016, 5:16 PM
Awesome, real glad I preordered this. Money grabbing bunch of fucks.

Jessechop
04-03-2016, 6:16 PM
Watched it last night. It sucked. The entire thing about riding to the Brooklyn Invitational and then show nothing from the show? Odd editing for sure.

turk33
04-03-2016, 8:26 PM
I was hyped for 6over and felt it was a letdown, so I hadn't really had any interest in this one.
I bought 6over as well, such a let down. In my opinion this was way better than 6over. The part with Tom was pretty sweet.

nickey
04-04-2016, 1:35 AM
I liked 6 Over actually. I feel like this one needed more interview footage with the riders. I was ok with no invitational footage though. It was about the journey.

mountainryder
04-04-2016, 6:48 PM

montuckymatt
04-04-2016, 7:32 PM

Hilarious! 21 days fits most of the criteria on that board....shit..you could make another board after watching that movie.

Eldergiraffe
04-04-2016, 9:02 PM
4 dudes on old bikes riding across the country They ride, get gas, party, breakdown, fix shit, get gas, ride, party. Cool bikes.narrattor sucked.

Yodhan
04-05-2016, 10:32 AM
I dug most of it. A few times they lost my interest. I liked some of the narration, but I feel like he was trying a bit hard in some parts.

Dane
04-05-2016, 7:19 PM
Bikes were rad. Dudes were chill. Cool old and new footage. Narration was a little overly-worded, didn't mind the voice, just the writing.

I don't think I've ever seen a biker film that was 5 star worthy, but I enjoy them all anyways.

FoulPlay
04-06-2016, 7:48 AM
I dug the tribute to Tom Fugle and the El Forasteros. I had the honor of meeting him a couple weeks ago at a bike show in Wichita. The choppers and music was rad. The poetry was retarded. Needed more f-bombs and tits...choppershit. As Tom Fugle says, "ride choppers or fuck off".

SubstantialGoods
04-06-2016, 6:26 PM
Ill take watching an hour of this over REAL television any day.

Stuff like this gets me pumped on riding, building and hanging with homies.

DirtySouth
04-06-2016, 7:04 PM
Fuck me!! I just ordered the damn thing today myself.

Blackbetty
04-08-2016, 10:45 AM
I watched it yesterday and I thought it was cool. Definitely makes you want to hit the road.

If I had preordered it and then heard it came out on netflix, I probably wouldn't like it either.

FatChibs
04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
personally i thought it was really dramatic, but thats kind of the point with these things. otherwise it would be like a high production value home movie without a story or motivation. I thought it was lacking, but i liked sipping beers and watching it. wish it was more technical and shared more details but oh well.

TurnerR
04-08-2016, 6:30 PM
The part with the "drugs" made me roll my eyes. The narration after the salt flats made me laugh. The Tom Fugle part was kinda cool, but built up alot only to not share some of his stories. It was better than anything on cable, and I didn't pre order it, but I probably will now. Maybe it was an honest mistake, and maybe it wasn't. The reality is, we don't have many good films about these style motorcycles. At the end of the day after the bitching and whining, we all still love these type of bikes and it is nice to see 4 of them on something as big as Netflix.

Keeleyvision
04-08-2016, 11:15 PM
The part with the "drugs" made me roll my eyes.

That part really took me out of it. who packs a bong on a trip where packing light really matters? People with a support team, that's who. Don't get me wrong, I was fully aware that this was "drama", the establishing shots of them pulling up to spots "for the first time", and how every time there was a problem on the road there seemed to be a fully stocked and manned chopper shop, drone shots, etc... but come on, I have come up on weed near the end of a long scooter trip, you either buy papers, or your packing your buddies long exausted dug-out and hitting the one-e till it's ready to melt. I'm not hating on the editing of that scene, editors want to play too.

HedleyLamarr
04-09-2016, 9:35 AM
watched it last night...fell asleep before the end, but that was mostly because of scotch

I noticed during a lot of the riding scenes, they're maybe going 10 miles an hour

I get what it was trying to do....it just tried pretty damn hard

I also noticed there was a scene where one of em was on his own, taking a piss, and his friends blow by him. dicks. especially when they broke down so often; who's to say he wasn't broken down?

and while it looked fun, I'm not sure riding through saltwater is the best idea for old metal

and I kept thinking one of the guys was Dusty that took all the money from that dying guy or whatever...probably not

and the narrator sounded cooler when he did the spoken word before Jesus Built My Hotrod

Jessechop
04-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I think the bong scene was a easyrider throw back attempt.

Keeleyvision
04-09-2016, 11:49 AM
watched it last night...fell asleep before the end, but that was mostly because of scotch

I noticed during a lot of the riding scenes, they're maybe going 10 miles an hour

I also noticed there was a scene where one of em was on his own, taking a piss, and his friends blow by him. dicks. especially when they broke down so often; who's to say he wasn't broken down?

and while it looked fun, I'm not sure riding through saltwater is the best idea for old metal

and I kept thinking one of the guys was Dusty that took all the money from that dying guy or whatever...probably not

and the narrator sounded cooler when he did the spoken word before Jesus Built My Hotrod

Allot of the stuff you mentioned hit me weird as well, allot of the movie reminded me of the closing credits in "6-over", where it gave me a kinda "WTF is this?" vibe, like a weird disjointed feeling.

Southbanker
04-10-2016, 12:15 AM
All that was missing was a naked pillow fight.

Keeleyvision
04-10-2016, 12:28 AM
All that was missing was a naked pillow fight.

that's in the DVD extras, along with the extended cut of "hipster dude in a towel waits for his paints to get more vintage-er at the hands of the pin-up chick" also included is 74 minutes of the narrator saying "and that just what he did" in his best Sam Elliot voice, it's pretty dope.

HedleyLamarr
04-10-2016, 9:43 AM
hopefully this will fill the void you're experiencing

https://vimeo.com/78862361

HedleyLamarr
04-10-2016, 9:44 AM
that's in the DVD extras, along with the extended cut of "hipster dude in a towel waits for his paints to get more vintage-er at the hands of the pin-up chick" also included is 74 minutes of the narrator saying "and that just what he did" in his best Sam Elliot voice, it's pretty dope.

ha....that part was funny. She's slaving over the pants, and he doesn't even look at her when he takes em. Then she gives a look when they take off like "I'm gonna fuck you're brother while you're gone"

78BritBastard
04-11-2016, 4:33 AM
The nararator is Robert Patrick, the guy that played the T1000 in Terminator 2. The writing for the narration was ridiculous. Takes itself waay too seriously, but that's what the entire movie does. Would of been a lot better if they lightened up.

hillcat
04-11-2016, 5:21 AM
These have been the best and most qualified reviews for this movie.
I have watched it and am now at the point where I turn the volume down, put on music and dick around with the laptop. The narration is ridiculous.
I will add it to my short list of movies (6 Over, Born Free 4, EDR, Salt Ghost) That I "background" watch, no volume. Any other recommendations? I have Netflix & Hulu streaming.
The only other thing I have to add is, when will these moviemakers realize that we have NO interest in watching somebody's head/face as they talk? Maybe show them for a second and then cut to their bike. We want to see bikes and people riding them. Not people talking about them!
Sorry, rant over.

78BritBastard
04-11-2016, 6:55 AM
These have been the best and most qualified reviews for this movie.
I have watched it and am now at the point where I turn the volume down, put on music and dick around with the laptop. The narration is ridiculous.
I will add it to my short list of movies (6 Over, Born Free 4, EDR, Salt Ghost) That I "background" watch, no volume. Any other recommendations? I have Netflix & Hulu streaming.
The only other thing I have to add is, when will these moviemakers realize that we have NO interest in watching somebody's head/face as they talk? Maybe show them for a second and then cut to their bike. We want to see bikes and people riding them. Not people talking about them!
Sorry, rant over.

How come you watch salt ghost with now volume? That movie is great! I love hearing that motor fire up the first time in decades.

Keeleyvision
04-11-2016, 6:55 AM
hopefully this will fill the void you're experiencing

I give that 5 out of 5 stars, best independent film I have seen in a while.

HedleyLamarr
04-11-2016, 8:12 AM
The nararator is Robert Patrick, the guy that played the T1000 in Terminator 2. The writing for the narration was ridiculous.

well damn....that throws in another element. I like him - he's pretty legit

Motorradfahrer
04-11-2016, 9:21 AM
I liked the film but as others have already said, the narration was a bit over the top.

Anyone else notice that Kurpius kick-starts his bike a lot easier than most guys with Ironheads (me included)? Does anyone know if he runs low compression pistons? I have to jump up to get enough force to kick my Ironhead but Kurpius keeps his left leg on the ground when he kicks over his bike.

78BritBastard
04-11-2016, 2:57 PM
well damn....that throws in another element. I like him - he's pretty legit

Fuck yeah, he's been in a lot of good shit!
Terminator 2
Copland
Strange Wilderness
X-Files
Walk the Line

All in all, as much as I think the movie is corny in places and overly serious, I give respect to anyone that takes a trip like that on old bikes. If I had friends I'd want to do the same thing!

hillcat
04-11-2016, 6:17 PM
How come you watch salt ghost with now volume? That movie is great! I love hearing that motor fire up the first time in decades.

You are right , that part is great. Those big diameter TT pipes are raspy & rorty!

bing0808
04-11-2016, 9:35 PM
Turned it off after i seen a fist bump for some dude taking a piss and catching up with his homies riding 40 mph. Went back steel wool and metal-glo

SubstantialGoods
04-12-2016, 7:40 AM
FYI Robert Patrick is a biker, too

BlackCloudSalvage
04-12-2016, 9:02 AM
It was a great mid-day break from wrenching. Inspired me to get back out in the garage and get my project finished so I could cruise the back roads this year. I find it hard to find people that want to even take a day trip for a few hours, so i appreciate their spirit. I think the movie should be taken lightly as entertainment. Also...would be awesome if there was much more motorbike movies out there to watch. It's just good that people of all kinds and ages are passionate about old bikes. This film helped inspire my buddy to ditch his XS400 Cafe racer cars n coffee mobile, in search of back country road tripper.

ElekVins
04-12-2016, 3:22 PM
If I had friends I'd want to do the same thing!

This one made me laugh!

I'm on the same boat, so I have to ride alone, maybe someday I'll will get friends, but I guess I'm not made for "bromance"...

HedleyLamarr
04-12-2016, 6:23 PM
FYI Robert Patrick is a biker, too

a Boozefighter

boomboomthump
04-13-2016, 9:21 AM
Finally made time to watch this last night (on Netflix). I was expecting it to be a lot worse based on some comments here.

The narration was annoying but overall the flick was enjoyable. It's a bunch of dudes who rode cross country together and obviously had a blast doing it. I can't imagine anyone that actually rides their bikes looking at this footage, thinking about the experience these guys shared, the scenery shown, etc. and complaining about it not living up to some expectation you have for an edited documentary. It's about 21 days on the road, not about Brooklyn Invitational coverage (which is already covered to death). What more do you want?

Agreed on the Netflix thing. Even if the movie was released on the correct date on Netflix, I'd still be annoyed if I paid for a copy and had no idea it would be on Netflix within weeks, let alone being accidentally released beforehand. Delay that thing 6mos to a year if you're going to sell it to Netflix.

mosten
04-14-2016, 7:49 PM
Their excuse of "Netflix released it early" is bullshit. I'm in film distribution and everyone involved would have had to sign contracts. They gave full control of the release date to Netflix or they didn't notice the availability section.

None
04-15-2016, 8:28 AM

I could not understanding that without any subtitles? Was it a foreign movie ... there was no car chase or explosions.

hankhill
04-19-2016, 8:16 PM
wow this movie was a bummer. what a self absorbed self righteous piece of shit. this is about as "real biker chopper shit" as sons of anarchy.

Keeleyvision
04-20-2016, 8:20 AM
It's a bunch of dudes who rode cross country together and obviously had a blast doing it. I can't imagine anyone that actually rides their bikes looking at this footage, thinking about the experience these guys shared, the scenery shown, etc. and complaining about it not living up to some expectation you have for an edited documentary. It's about 21 days on the road, not about Brooklyn Invitational coverage (which is already covered to death). What more do you want?

I think your point would be stronger had it been shot/edited as a documentary, some of the riding shots were beautiful, but most of why they were so beautiful was that they were plotted, there is nothing wrong with plotting your shots while making a movie, it's the right way to do it, but it's the wrong way to make a documentary, I think that is allot of why this flick is hitting so many wrong, it's like the flick doesn't know what it wants to be, that and open appature dolly shots of dudes hosing each other off, but the intermix of documentary style, and scripted movie style, just doesn't go that well, it leaves most viewers feeling disconected, but not really knowing why.

All the respect in the world to the work that went into this, there was a great deal of time and effort on the filming end, and I appreciate people trying to make entertainment for us, but with the heavy-handed narration, and using the shot selection to prop the characters up, I was kinda left feeling that this wasn't made for us.

Southbanker
04-21-2016, 2:01 AM
The naked pillow fight.
Hands down.

PeanutHead
04-21-2016, 5:20 AM
Watched this last night. I enjoyed it for the most part. Would have loved to see the footage of the Brooklyn Invitational though.

IMO, 3 outta 5.

Thatscatbk
05-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Tom Fugle stuff was great...pretty rad soundtrack. Other than that, eh. I'm sure that saltwater did wonders for there bikes.

72scumbag
05-04-2016, 10:37 AM
I was cool with it. I actually went back and watched it a second time cause my girl wanted to see it. I was ok without the Brooklyn Invitational stuff. It was about a road trip not a Bike show... It was a little over dramatized but I'm sure they are wanting to pull in other viewers rather than just us. Overall it wasn't bad to me.

NaturalLivingMan86
05-05-2016, 4:10 AM
I didn't hate it, but I was pleased it was free on Netflix

JuanCarlito
05-07-2016, 8:04 AM
This doesn't seem to bean issue for Canadian Netflix....As its not listed at all under either title.

BurnoutNova
05-07-2016, 8:45 AM
I liked it. Not every chopper movie can be as epic as easy rider

shortpork
05-08-2016, 1:51 AM
watched it this morning, cool footage but sooo damn cheesy. Got tired of the mushy poetry. Second half was better when they cut some of that out.

vanderkalin
05-12-2016, 6:52 PM

Until the final credits I thought it was Martin Sheen.

pleasedie
05-12-2016, 10:32 PM
I dug the tribute to Tom Fugle and the El Forasteros. I had the honor of meeting him a couple weeks ago at a bike show in Wichita. The choppers and music was rad. The poetry was retarded. Needed more f-bombs and tits...choppershit. As Tom Fugle says, "ride choppers or fuck off".

I haven't read in the comments yet but Netflix fucked them by releasing it early, at least that's what I read on Josh Kurpias' instagram. At times it was boring but I liked the soundtrack and that long knucklehead. Also just found out that Robert Patrick did the narration for it. Even though the poetry is cheesy, the fact that he read it and the fact that he's a Boozefighter is cool.