PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Dstowe1
03-31-2016, 5:30 PM
I have a custom with an S&S124 with around 5k miles. When ridding it will looses engine power like it's missing. When it starts doing it I can pull in the clutch and it idles, just when I give it throttle it spits and sputters for a minute then takes off like normal then it does it again. I cleaned the carb, put new gas, changed the plugs. Any suggestions?

Tattooo
03-31-2016, 5:40 PM
I have a custom with an S&S124 with around 5k miles. When ridding it will looses engine power like it's missing. When it starts doing it I can pull in the clutch and it idles, just when I give it throttle it spits and sputters for a minute then takes off like normal then it does it again. I cleaned the carb, put new gas, changed the plugs. Any suggestions?

Damn it!!!!!!!!!! Is it charging?????

captseadog
03-31-2016, 5:54 PM
Did you mess with the timing at all? Maybe small vaccum leak causing a lean then rich mixture when the accelerator pump is used? Start at making sure you have proper voltage though as that is easiest to check.

Tattooo
03-31-2016, 6:01 PM
Was it doing this before you worked on your bike?? You do have a S&S carb????

Dstowe1
03-31-2016, 6:03 PM
Did not mess with the timing. It just started doing it after sitting for a while. I thought it was the gas but that didn't change anything so I pulled the carb and only pulled the bowl and the easy stuff because there was no varnishing.

captseadog
03-31-2016, 6:15 PM
Is your float set properly if you took the bowl off and did not make are it was set right it will set everything off. Did the gasket come off easily as that too could effect the vaccum and flow of your carb. You say you only touched the easy stuff but either one of those could cause symptoms you are talking about. Retrace your steps and use an s&s manual to ensure your carb is not the culprit

Dstowe1
03-31-2016, 6:39 PM
It was doing it before I took the carb off, that was the reason I took it off.

Tattooo
03-31-2016, 7:40 PM
Is your float set properly if you took the bowl off and did not make are it was set right it will set everything off. Did the gasket come off easily as that too could effect the vaccum and flow of your carb. You say you only touched the easy stuff but either one of those could cause symptoms you are talking about. Retrace your steps and use an s&s manual to ensure your carb is not the culprit

He said it was doing it before he started working on it....

Tattooo
03-31-2016, 7:42 PM
How long was the bike setting up? How is the battery??? Again he ask??? Is it charging??

captseadog
03-31-2016, 8:03 PM
Just because it started before taking off carb doesn't mean that is not the issue. Ethanol kills the the small parts like shut off needle or can cause float to stick. Just thinking out loud here. If it sputters under throttle then settles in I would lean towards carb or accelerator pump problem. I agree making sure you have 14.2 going to your battery is the easiest thing to check to eliminate one culprit but I would guess a weak battery would struggle to start such a big motor

farmall
03-31-2016, 8:09 PM
"Cleaning the carb" varies. Unless cleaning included verifying the low speed jet is clean by removing and blowing it out, that may be a problem.

Tattooo
03-31-2016, 9:17 PM
I agree making sure you have 14.2 going to your battery is the easiest thing to check to eliminate one culprit but I would guess a weak battery would struggle to start such a big motor

You got that right....LOL But for all we know he jumped it off with his wifes SUV???