PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Start Checklist

74Ironlung
03-29-2016, 7:40 AM
What's up folks, so my first real big build is coming to an end and should be ready to start within the month.

Do any of you have a tried and true checklist or rituals before you go to start your bike for the first time following a long build. I'd prefer not to sacrifice any virgins to get this bike started, but I suppose it's not totally out of the question.

This is the bike for those who care
http://i65.tinypic.com/25iyhja.jpg

Thanks bros!

farmall
03-29-2016, 8:08 AM
I verify oil flow out the return line into tank by kicking it with plugs out and ignition off before starting. Then I start it, warm it up (don't let it idle as that produces little oil pressure), shut it down, let it cool and repeat a few times.

Everyone has different rituals and they'll chime in with theirs.

My mentorbro has a large squirrel cage blower he sometimes aims at the engine. I copied that and use a "bounce house" blower which is high velocity and more compact. Keeps the engine comfy and gives you more playtime with no overheat.

captseadog
03-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Not sure if it's necessary on ironheads but on my pan I tightened the head bolts after shutting down the motor but when it was still hot. I got a quarter turn at least without much force. Other than that double check everything is tight with loctiite or lock nut. Nice looking bike hope this helps.

74Ironlung
03-29-2016, 11:30 AM
I verify oil flow out the return line into tank by kicking it with plugs out and ignition off before starting. Then I start it, warm it up (don't let it idle as that produces little oil pressure), shut it down, let it cool and repeat a few times.

Everyone has different rituals and they'll chime in with theirs.

My mentorbro has a large squirrel cage blower he sometimes aims at the engine. I copied that and use a "bounce house" blower which is high velocity and more compact. Keeps the engine comfy and gives you more playtime with no overheat.

That's a really good idea for ensuring oil flow, definitely going to be doing that

Not sure if it's necessary on ironheads but on my pan I tightened the head bolts after shutting down the motor but when it was still hot. I got a quarter turn at least without much force. Other than that double check everything is tight with loctiite or lock nut. Nice looking bike hope this helps.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt, I had head bolts back out after about 500 miles on my evo big twin rebuild, that was a huge pain in the ass. Thanks man, I went through 2 different front ends, 2 frames, 2 front wheels and a few different configurations before I found a set up I really liked

TurnerR
03-30-2016, 3:14 AM
I left my lighting system unhooked until I made sure my bike would start and was charging. Mine wasn't a kicker though. I always check about 100 times on oil and fuel. Don't forget to check the brakes before the initial ride, forgot that once and almost went through a fence in the neighborhood. Nice scoot!

Flabadabadingdong
04-01-2016, 4:58 PM
Definitely constantly check that everything is tightened down every time you ride it. My Ironhead had a nice habit of shedding weight. Like the time my axle nut decided to peace out. Oh and definitely keep a screw driver and feeler gauge with you in case your points get out of spec. Sick scooter though!

I see the Pens flag. Live anywhere near Pittsburgh?

Sky
04-01-2016, 10:40 PM
If the engine has been sitting, squirt some oil down the spark plug holes before scraping dry rings against the cylinders.
If the oil in the tank has sumped to the engine, and/or through the engine into the primary. Drain and refill to propper levels. If there's no case drain the return side of the oil pump will put most of it back into the tank. Make sure there's at least half a quart in the oil tank and don't let it run dry! Place a catch pan under the case/cam breather it will most likely puke.
If you swapped oil tanks and/or lines. Gotta prime that pump. Again a minimum of half a quart in the oil tank. Burp it through the oil pressure sending unit hole. Plugs out kick or tun it over till you see flow.
Then like stated above verify oil return once started.
If the carb Sat with gas in the bowl. Better clear out the jet(s) and check float needle operation. Is there fresh gas in the fuel tank?
If it's a fresh top end. Three heat-cool cycles with head bolt re-tourqe. Base nuts too. Remember that a re-tourqe can affect the pushrod adjustment..
Check charging system output.
Check brakes and tire pressures, lights too.
Carb and timing adjustments are to be determined by your test ride(s).