PDA

View Full Version : Push button starter

Asphalt788
03-23-2016, 8:35 PM
Anyone have any advice on buidling your own push button starter? I've got an 87 sporty so no aftermarket company makes one. I dont even have a clue as to what one looks like on the inside. Even a couple of pics of the backside of one would be good enough to get me going.

Jessechop
03-23-2016, 8:40 PM
Do you mean the one on the end of the starter? If so the starters are the same from 81 to 2015

Asphalt788
03-23-2016, 8:47 PM
Yes. All the places I have been looking at only work for 91 and up.

Jessechop
03-23-2016, 8:53 PM
Hmm, not sure the difference. Maybe the sprocket cover wont allow the button to be pushed? Let me do a little digging

Asphalt788
03-23-2016, 9:25 PM
Thanks. This is the last piece of the puzzle before I start on my own wiring harness.

Blackbetty
03-24-2016, 11:03 AM
It's not much of a puzzle amigo - those buttons bolt directly to the side of the solenoid. Spend money for a decent one with a seal, IE spyke. They can be sticky too - so when you install it I'd recommend pulling the bendix and greasing it up really well before you button everything up.

Using these allows you to completely eliminate a starter relay etc from your wiring. I love mine.

Sky
03-24-2016, 10:32 PM
If "they" don't make one to fit your solenoid. Make it yourself.
Ive seen a simple hole drilled in the stock cover used with a handy screwdriver. But I'm sure you can come up with your own harebrained version.

Jessechop
03-25-2016, 8:37 AM
So I went and dug around the shop. Found a 85 XLH, 89 XLH, 06 Buell XB9 and a 06 Buell XB12 starter. I cant see a difference. The reason they list them for 91 up must be oil lines or the sprocket cover. Maybe rear pipe? On my race bike the pipe runs right next to the solenoid and it burns my hand so I use a long screwdriver to push the button. LOL.

My 88 is in storage or I could go look. Thats all I can figure.

Sky
03-25-2016, 6:02 PM
I seem to remember there being three slightly different but distinct shaped solonoid covers. The one with two extended "ears" instead if the simpler sheild shape is not available pre made.

farmall
03-25-2016, 8:33 PM
The basic starter is a OSGR used on millions of cars and trucks. (Usual failure point in Harley use is the contacts, which are dirt cheap to replace.)

Automotive version but the solenoid is the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4sTBK6J5kI

Scroll down this page for a Harley 'noid end cover comparison pic:

http://www.cyclefish.com/forum/The-Garage/Harley-Davidson/Starter-Solenoid-Cover-WManual-Pushbutton-8901-1.html