PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Honda Shadow 600 Crankcase Breather

BobberJosh
03-23-2016, 5:49 PM
I'm about to run a little pancake air filter to replace the stock airbox and was told I need to put a breather filter on that line that is running to the airbox that is the crankcase breather hose.

What's the consensus on running a filter on that line?

I was reading some say that filter can clog and cause problems but just wanted to know if it's the best route to just go ahead and use the little filter and just keep a eye on it. This is my first vlx bobber and just want to treat her right!!

sdustin
03-23-2016, 7:06 PM
Look up tj brutal customs YouTube video about it.

BobberJosh
03-24-2016, 7:45 AM
Looks like he just deletes everything and runs a hose with no filter. Is this safe? Not going to get dirt and grime in the engine?

Would it be safer to leave the setup as it is now and just add a little filter to the hose that ran to the air filter?

I guess I'm just looking for some advice.

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-24-2016, 1:09 PM
I've been running open hoses with no filters on both of my Honda 1100's for several years now with no issues.

Air blows out from the crankcase breather, along with a little oily water (condensation), so I wouldn't worry about anything getting sucked in.

I would expect a filter to get clogged with oily water though.

BobberJosh
03-24-2016, 2:50 PM
On the stock 600 there is this plastic tank under the gas tank and it looks like it's so the breather tube going to the air cleaner is for air and the liquid falls to the bottom of the tank and out to a drain hose. I was thinking I could just add a filter to that hose that ran to the air filter and keep it tucked under the gas tank but now I'm kicking around the idea of just deleting all that crap. Hmmmmmm

Anyone know where to get those little rubber caps to put over hoses you delete off a carb?

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-24-2016, 3:15 PM
On the stock 600 there is this plastic tank under the gas tank and it looks like it's so the breather tube going to the air cleaner is for air and the liquid falls to the bottom of the tank and out to a drain hose. I was thinking I could just add a filter to that hose that ran to the air filter and keep it tucked under the gas tank but now I'm kicking around the idea of just deleting all that crap. Hmmmmmm

Anyone know where to get those little rubber caps to put over hoses you delete off a carb?I know that there are differences between various Honda Shadows, but both of mine had these white-ish plastic containers under the gas tank that the breather hoses were connected to, those containers are called "crankcase breather storage tanks". I ditched those "tanks" on both my bikes and simply ran hoses from the engines and threaded them down through the bikes. Those "tanks" are completely unnecessary.

As for caps, auto parts stores sell a variety of caps. But you want to get vinyl (typically shiny). There are rubber caps with a dull appearance but they don't last long at all (cracking/splitting). Vinyl will resist heat and exposure to the elements better.

Home Depot sells vinyl caps in the hardware section in one of those big sets of drawers. They sell a variety of sizes, each size in a different color. I've had a few of the black ones on my carbs for several years without any sign of deterioration.

BobberJosh
03-24-2016, 3:31 PM
Thanks so much for the info!!