PDA

View Full Version : Loud Exhaust Ticket

deathofcali
03-22-2016, 9:57 PM
Well 20 days into enjoying my new Vance and Hines Shortshots, I get pulled over on the highway and issued a ticket. What the hell? Does anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing it's like a fix it ticket where I put in some quiet baffles and get the ticket signed off. I don't even think there's a fine associated with it. Am I right in assuming this? Thanks.

Bertus
03-23-2016, 3:39 AM
Got pulled over last summer in the Netherlands, I have half-open pipes on my v-star 650.

Appearantly my bike was 8dB to loud, fuckers gave me a ticket of 490 euro's.

cggorman
03-23-2016, 8:14 AM
Well 20 days into enjoying my new Vance and Hines Shortshots, I get pulled over on the highway and issued a ticket. What the hell? Does anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing it's like a fix it ticket where I put in some quiet baffles and get the ticket signed off. I don't even think there's a fine associated with it. Am I right in assuming this? Thanks.

Statutes vary by county in the US. Not sure where you're at, but you'd have to look up the codes for your area. I must have baffles installed, but there is no specific decibel level or loudness specified. "Baffle" isn't even defined.

docmel
03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Go to court; Don't get a lawyer, just represent yourself for a minor citation such as yours. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it tossed, or the fine reduced that way. If you pay it, your have 0 percent of beating it...........

Not sure if you are asking us if its a fix it, and the ticket gets tossed? YOU should know that by now.

Keep in mind though, you have now been marked by the cops, especially if you ride in the area you got mailed allot

deathofcali
03-23-2016, 9:42 PM
That's what I'm not sure about since I ride the same route to work everyday. I'm gonna call them tomorrow to ask how the process goes. Just such crap. I'll go to court for sure.

SlyJJ
03-24-2016, 1:19 AM
In short, the question is how was your "loudness" measured and what specifically is the ticket for?

PA is one of those states where baffles are required, so a particular decibel level quote isn't required for that citation. If this isn't the case and your ticket specifies only that your bike was "too loud" that raises the obvious question of how it was measured and how accurate was said instrument, etc. Just remember you don't have to prove your innocence, they have to prove your guilt (that's the way its SUPPOSED to work anyways, but law enforcement is notoriously corrupt) so the less you say, the better.

deathofcali
03-27-2016, 6:15 PM
I definitely gotta remember that....Innocent until proven guilty. As I read the law more and more, I came to find out that a cop isn't supposed to pull you over for just loud exhaust (that's all my ticket says). And a ticket for loud exhaust can only be secondary to another infraction. I am going to fight this in court because this isn't right. Thanks for the advice gents.