PDA

View Full Version : I could use some advice on how to mount this seat to my KZ750

djturnz
06-09-2010, 5:30 AM
I made some brackets to mount my KZP seat to my 750LTD. I don't really like them though. For one, they are not quick release at all, so no getting to the battery or fuses on the side of the road. I also ended up snapping the bolts off in the front bracket mounts, so I'll need to do something different there.

Here are some pics after mounting it up.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/7cd8d088.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/01cb82f8.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/42441fb4.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/2a4a896b.jpg

If anyone has an idea on how to mount this without having to weld anything, I'd love to hear suggestions.

The seat did come with it's own brackets and slip pins, so perhaps I can make a bracket that would line up with that.

Here is a pic of the bottom the seat with the stock brackets.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/seatshockbracket.jpg

albertahawk
06-09-2010, 10:03 AM
well my first idea is to make a bracket but i dont mean to be rude but why do you want such a huge fat seat on a relatively skinny bike

djturnz
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Because the stock seat is uncomfortable, and I have a big fat backside. The cop seat is comfy, and the bike is ugly anyway, so I don't think it will hurt it.

Do you have any specifics on the bracket you would make? It lines up so well with the top shock mount, that I figured I might as well use that. I am trying to figure out how to make something strong enough to hold weight, yet fit on the stud.

VJ
06-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Why not just replace the bolts holding the brackets to the shocks with studs? Drill small holes through the studs and use hair pin clips to hold them in place. Bingo quick release just pull the pins.

djturnz
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Why not just replace the bolts holding the brackets to the shocks with studs? Drill small holes through the studs and use hair pin clips to hold them in place. Bingo quick release just pull the pins.

I'm not sure I understand. The top shock mount is a stud off the frame. I basically removed the washers on each side of the shock bushing, and mounted the bracket. Are you saying to remove the domed nut and use a pin to hold the shocks on?

In order to mount it, I had to mount the brackets, then bolt them to the seat. The smaller bracket in the last picture is what came on the seat. I was thinking I could make two brackets per side that would line up with that and have the seat pins in there.

Since the front bolts snapped off, I am going to see if I can find a press in threaded insert that will work. Then I can move the front mount anywhere on the pan.

I made a paint drawing of my other idea, but I'm not sure if two flat pieces would be strong enough.

REV
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
heres my idea. angle iron. an nice hardcore piece of thick L shaped angle iron that would go between shock and bike. then you take and drill a hole in the bolt for a hairpin, and put maybe a short but stiff spring between the seat and top of the bracket to keep tension on it.

djturnz
06-09-2010, 3:39 PM
Deadman, I like your idea, but I am confused on the spring part.

albertahawk
06-09-2010, 5:31 PM
some thick flat bar would work but it would need to be welded to the frame so the question here is do you have a welder or any fab tools?? that would help for us to say what to build and what not. also where are you wanting to go with this bike ??? is it worth it half assing a seat bracket when your going to chop it up later on?? is this your daily ride or something that can be out of commision while you build a proper safe bracket??

VJ
06-09-2010, 9:26 PM
[QUOTE=djturnz;68104]I'm not sure I understand. The top shock mount is a stud off the frame. I basically removed the washers on each side of the shock bushing, and mounted the bracket. Are you saying to remove the domed nut and use a pin to hold the shocks on?
I'm suggesting you remove the bolt to the seat not the nut from the shock. Screw in a stud with a hole in it and use a hair pin clip to secure the stud at the bracket.

convergecult
06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
You're member on chopcult. Chopping involves a shitload of welding. Do yourself a big favor and buy a welder. Lurk the shit out of craigslist. Problem solved.

Twinkies
06-10-2010, 12:40 AM
I like Vjs idea.. Id second that...

If it were my bike Id just weld up some simple L brackets off the frame..

L brackets with screw in studs and hairpin clips through the eyelets = easy access

djturnz
06-10-2010, 4:46 AM
Thanks.

To answer questions asked...

This is my daily ride. It needs to be capable of two up so the wife can ride too. If had the dough to buy another, I'd go a little crazier on this one, but for now, I won't be chopping much of anything.

I'd love to get a welder, funds permitting. Right now, funds are not permitting.

I was looking at this last night and I might just mount my other banana seat for now. Until I am in a better position to do this seat properly. It's still ugly, but it's better than the stocker.

Thanks guys.

VJ
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
For two up there are King?Queen style seats that will fit on that 750. I have a bikejust like it . I like the stock seat flat. However I'm not a very big fella at 175lb.

albertahawk
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
i would rock a king and queen on that bike if its going to be for both of you to comfortably ride also ease of installation.. honestly its easy for all of us to say hack the frame weld a bracket on here and there due to the site you are on thats what your going to get thats just the honest truth cause thats what most of us would do. easy stuff as per bolt ons can be found in other forums such as one specific to your bike or hell even the stealer ship.. so dont be offended with what people have posted on what the "right" way to do things is because around this site if your going to mount a seat from one bike to a different bike the answer is always going to chop it here and fab it there..

djturnz
06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Thats the reason I posted it here. If I could buy a bracket from JCWhitney, I would have. I have limited fab skills and tools, but I do what I can. I like to buy a bracket or a hinge or something at the hardware store and bend it up and cut or drill and make it what I want. I just can't weld. The brackets I made were made from an 8" barn door type hinge.

I have a hacksaw, angle grinder, dremel, vise and BFH. I do what I can with what I have.
No offense taken.

You guys are imaginitive and engineering minded. Most of the "brand specific" forums shun anyone that doesn't want to restore it to factory new. I'll admit that the Kawasaki forum is more understanding of customizing, but the Suzuki site I used to post on, they had a fit whenever anyone mentioned the words chop or bob.

I have never seen a KZ750 with a king-Queen before. Got any pics?

albertahawk
06-10-2010, 2:11 PM
check out this post its a 650 but probably very very similar frame if not the same
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4618

albertahawk
06-10-2010, 2:16 PM
also i checked ebay searched king queen seat and found quite a few seats that probably with ease could be adapted to fit your bike most of the 70's bikes had very similar frame designs so they will with minor modification fit one bike or another

djturnz
06-11-2010, 4:47 AM
The frame should be the same on that 650. I think for right now I am going to throw on a different banana seat from my old bike. Until I can figure out what I want to do with the cop seat. I may have to peruse ebay and see whats out there for seats.

Tito
06-13-2010, 3:33 PM
Dont know if anyone's interested, and if anyone with these bikes wants to do a cafe style, I just came up on a set of KZ750E RAASK rearsets. Thought I'd try here before they go on "the bay".