PDA

View Full Version : fender mounting questions

JaySco
08-21-2009, 5:33 PM
So I asked a question in my opinions post, but on page 3 things tend to get lost, so I'll just ask here. I'm going to run the fender like this
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o131/jay_sco/Sportster/IMG_3169.jpg
It's a thick guage steel, it will have no passengers or cargo, and it will be mounted to the frame in 4 spots. Both top rails and both bottom, I like the idea of running strutless. The unsupported area will be about 12"-14" of fender going over the tire.
It was brought to my attention that the road rattles may cause damage if I don't run struts. Any thoughts, insight, experience, etc in this area would be appreciated. I think it would be fine, but this is my first bike build so I know Jack Shit about nothing.

JaySco
08-21-2009, 5:37 PM
Looking at the pic now, let me clarify a couple things.....the fender will be sitting about an inch or so off the tire, it wont be hugging it as shown. And I'll cut the bottom off, I'm not going to run the fender under the tire (I know some smart ass would say something about that).

constriktor
08-21-2009, 6:46 PM
how much lateral clearance are you going to have between tire sidewall/tread and side lip of the fender? if you're concerned about too much fender flex from vibration, you could weld some curved bar stock inside there on either side to make the fender more rigid?

i haven't read your other post to see if that was already suggested, but it was the first thing that came to mind....

n

imtheslime
08-21-2009, 7:48 PM
^^^^^^ Yeah good idea^^^^^^^

beezerglide
08-22-2009, 6:23 AM
take the chuck off fender you cut off and use it as a doubler for the part you wants to keep. trim it smaller around the edge make sure it's snug and use some sort of epoxy or jbweld, matbe even some spot welding to make the fender super rigid and strutless

JaySco
08-22-2009, 9:34 AM
take the chuck off fender you cut off and use it as a doubler for the part you wants to keep. trim it smaller around the edge make sure it's snug and use some sort of epoxy or jbweld, matbe even some spot welding to make the fender super rigid and strutless

That might just work, i was thinking about a strip of flat-stock to reinforce it, but your idea would be much better.

MIKE47
08-22-2009, 9:58 AM
I have mine that way. A strip of flat stock would be a good idea right up the middle, the whole length. My seat (and my fat ass) has a tendency to push against the fender and every now and again I have to "re-adjust" it. If I had the strip of 1/8" (10-11 ga) in there it would help much. Other than that I have no issues. It is about an inch off the tire.