PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning spokes

willisharvey82
03-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Is there some kind of petroleum jelly or some kind of oxalic orphiruoic acid that you can use to get rid of surface rust and oxidation off of spokes. I heard fast orange an wd-40. I no there's a lot of elbow work. But there's got to be something easier. I mean look how long bikes have been in the world. And someone can't come up with a spray or a gel to get rid of rust an oxidation from spokes???

matttatts
03-14-2016, 1:23 PM
sos pads are what I use on chrome. They work slick on whitewalls too.

47str8leg
03-14-2016, 4:19 PM
I use a toothbrush w/Noxon for the heavy stuff then a new toothbrush w/ chrome polish. Yer lazy.

bing0808
03-15-2016, 6:03 AM
I used a product called toon bright. Its for cleaning pontoon aluminum $20-30 @ bass pro shop. Eats oxidation quickly. Spray it on and rinse it off quick. I mean quick. Then get busy with 0000 steel wool and metal glo. I got kids to help cause they have tiny fucking fingers. Paid them in ice cream

cggorman
03-15-2016, 2:11 PM
We use a a lot of dilute nitric acid at work for oxide removal from non-ferrous metals. I know it doesn't attack stainless, which has a high chromium content. I'd be willing to try it on my chrome and stainless if I had any need. hydrochloric/muriatic may be similar and is much easier to source. Another option may be toilet bowl cleaner.

Worth a try on some scrap parts if you have anything laying around (I know I sure do!)

FeHead
03-17-2016, 11:00 AM
I've had good results using WD40 and aluminum foil on chrome with surface rust.

Webrat
03-17-2016, 11:22 AM
In a pinch I used COKE one time,,,
The soda,,, and yes,,, it worked.