PDA

View Full Version : Ignition question.

workingclass
06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
This may be a really dumb question due to my inexperience but here goes. Has anyone run points ignition on a TCI motor? Picked up a bike cheap only to realize it didn't have any of the ignition parts. I miss identifed the motor as a 79 and not an 80 and had a friend send me the points and breaker plate etc. After getting into the wiring I realized the motor was set up for the TCI ignition. Realized this by identifing the coil. I got coils from a later model and am running a super simple wiring set up, headlight, taillight and ignition. Looking through my manual it looks like the timing marks are totally different. Any insite would be greatly appreciated, even if you're gonna tell me I'm screwed.

VJ
06-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm sure it can be done but you'll need the spark advance unit for the points ignition.

Dannerville
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
You're also gonna need to figure out the correct timing marks at the crank (stator) when you go to set the timing. This might mean getting a stator from a points bike or at least comparing the two and noting the differences.

Rob D.

MikeMigs
06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
The Pamco Ignition system works with points and will help simplify your ignition system.. do a google search for pamco.. thats what im running on my 80 Xs..

workingclass
06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks to all who replied. I do some more research and keep posted on any progress.