PDA

View Full Version : another wrap ?

harpguy74
06-06-2010, 6:55 AM
i have a 2005 honda shanow and i had to take of my straight pipes thanks to the cops. long story short i couldnt affort the tickets anymore. i hate the look of the stock exhaust with those big chrome heatsheilds ples no matter what i do the seem to rattle. i am thinking of taking the shields off and replacing them with black wrap i just wanna make sure it will not have any negative effect on the engine. so after all that i guess my ? is will it efect my engine in a negative way?

NHMike
06-06-2010, 8:11 AM
The wrap won't effect the engine, although over time it could deteriorate the exhaust itself. Why not just put baffles in your drag pipes?

harpguy74
06-06-2010, 9:05 AM
here in quebec it is elegal to modifie a exhaust system att all so they actually look for a part # or brand when you get stoped. if it says vance & hines... hers your ticket. first ticket 150$ second 500$ third 1500$ and a tow charge and 30 days impound att 35$ a day. i got away with it for 3 years and if i win the case in court" they didnt actually check anything just said it was to loud" the drags are going back on

albertahawk
06-06-2010, 10:21 AM
here in quebec it is elegal to modifie a exhaust system att all so they actually look for a part # or brand when you get stoped. if it says vance & hines... hers your ticket. first ticket 150$ second 500$ third 1500$ and a tow charge and 30 days impound att 35$ a day. i got away with it for 3 years and if i win the case in court" they didnt actually check anything just said it was to loud" the drags are going back on

exhaust wrap is cool and everything except you have to make sure that you run your bike damn near everyday to dry that shit out if it sits for a lil period of time rust will form then your fucked

NHMike
06-06-2010, 11:26 AM

That sucks. What would happen if you punched out the stock exhaust? It is possible to make a stock exhaust like drag pipes by removing everything inside of them.

harpguy74
06-06-2010, 1:35 PM
iff i punch or drill out the baffles they will not pass the decible test either. my other ? is i would like to know if there is any real difference between the 50$ wrap and the ebay 20@ wrap

bigdaddy
06-06-2010, 2:08 PM
iff i punch or drill out the baffles they will not pass the decible test either. my other ? is i would like to know if there is any real difference between the 50$ wrap and the ebay 20@ wrap

check the size of the wrap. some is 1" and some is 2". 2" covers more pipe, of course. not sure if there is a difference. i've had mine on for a long time. haven't taken it off to see if i've got rust. i'm hoping not. i've had it on for a couple of years. i'm wanting to take mine off and redo it with some of the brown stuff. i hear that it works better if you spray the exhaust spray stuff on first.

Punkskalar
06-06-2010, 8:34 PM
1" wrap works alot better in tight bends, 2" covers more ground.

What about making your own pipes? No Part Numbers or ID??

VJ
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Why not stamp the stock part number on the drag pipes and install some baffles so it's not quite as loud? Maybe wrap it too leaving the part number exposed.

albertahawk
06-07-2010, 10:41 AM

i would stick with "DEI" exhaust wrap they make the best stuff their titanium wrap holds its color for a long time from what ive heard

Steze
06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
exhaust wrap is cool and everything except you have to make sure that you run your bike damn near everyday to dry that shit out if it sits for a lil period of time rust will form then your fucked

not true. if ur pipes arent raw metal under the wrap rust should not be a problem. coat them with ceramic paint, chrome them, whatever. but protected metal wont rust. mine get wet all the time, no problems.