PDA

View Full Version : Lean condition

Moosehoppin
03-12-2016, 6:07 PM
I need help figuring out what to do to fix lean condition. I've got a 96 Honda shadow vt600c, I'm running open pipes and velocity stacks. I've rejected carbs with 45 pilot and 145 main and two needle shims. I'm still running lean and can't figure out why. Any help is appreciated

Tattooo
03-12-2016, 7:05 PM
I need help figuring out what to do to fix lean condition. I've got a 96 Honda shadow vt600c, I'm running open pipes and velocity stacks. I've rejected carbs with 45 pilot and 145 main and two needle shims. I'm still running lean and can't figure out why. Any help is appreciated

Your lean problem is..... (I'm running open pipes and velocity stacks.)

Moosehoppin
03-12-2016, 7:09 PM
Well I understand that. But how can I fix it with still running this set up?

Tattooo
03-12-2016, 7:16 PM
Well I understand that. But how can I fix it with still running this set up?

You can't.... Those carbs aren't designed to run with that set up..... Well I take that back you can fix it but you will have to buy a totally different carb set up... I ran into that same problem when I messed with 1100F Honda's several years ago... I know that's not the answer your looking for but!!!!!!

Moosehoppin
03-12-2016, 7:21 PM
How is it I've seen same bikes with the same set up that have ran just fine then?

Tattooo
03-12-2016, 9:15 PM
How is it I've seen same bikes with the same set up that have ran just fine then?

Well I guess you should have asked them???? Wouldn't that have been the thing to do???

Moosehoppin
03-12-2016, 9:24 PM
Haha, true but unfortunately I didn't have the bike when I've seen them and I don't know the owners to ask them.

Tattooo
03-12-2016, 9:34 PM
Haha, true but unfortunately I didn't have the bike when I've seen them and I don't know the owners to ask them.

I bet they didn't run as well as you were told..... It's not likely they would say they ran like crap..... Keep at it you might get lucky but I doubt it..... Good luck...

heyyodho
03-14-2016, 6:06 PM
What is going on when you try to ride it? Cuts out at a certain throttle position? Pops on deceleration? Don't listen to the guy that admittedly doesn't have experience with this bike. You don't have to buy a whole new carb set up lol.

Your jets are on the large side so are you sure it's lean? If so, I would suspect that it needs to be cleaned.

sdustin
03-14-2016, 9:24 PM
You can definitely run open pipes and stacks on a vlx vt600. I've put 11k miles in mind with that set up. I'm running the factory pilots they are 42 I think and 142 mains. I'm at roughly1200 feet above sea. I say give the carbs a good cleaning and run quality ngk plugs and see where that gets you.

heyyodho
03-15-2016, 1:30 AM
You can definitely run open pipes and stacks on a vlx vt600. I've put 11k miles in mind with that set up. I'm running the factory pilots they are 42 I think and 142 mains. I'm at roughly1200 feet above sea. I say give the carbs a good cleaning and run quality ngk plugs and see where that gets you.

So you're running that with dual carbs? This is interesting because I have friends that mostly run 125s with their dual carbs. I am using 145s for my single carb. Oh well. My gas mileage is decent and it seems to run well so I guess that's all I can go by lol.

sdustin
03-15-2016, 7:58 AM
Yes dual carbs

bluesrock
03-16-2016, 12:54 PM
What makes you say it's running lean?

Moosehoppin
03-17-2016, 6:54 PM
I've thoroughly cleaned the carbs. New plugs and wires. I've tried running 42/142 jets. Seemed to run worse than with the 45/145 jets, and it was running good before I removed the air box and installed the stacks. As it is now, I've got popping on decel, and plugs are showing white. As far as throttle goes it varies. If it's warm outside then first and second gear it has great throttle response in all positions, in third in starts breaking up around half throttle but usually will move past it and in fourth I can't give any throttle at all. And when it starts getting cooler in the evening it won't run at all.

heyyodho
03-23-2016, 5:45 PM
Do you have anything capped off on the carb itself? There's a youtube video that's called "Single Carb Honda shadow Jetting" (or something similar) that you could check out to see if you accidentally capped off the incorrect ports. Got any bigger jets?

datadavid
03-29-2016, 5:16 AM
Never mind the pilot jet. Not much happens at idle anyway. You are most probably suffering from too small needle jets. They can be reamed out by someone who knows EXACTLY what the fuck they are doing, if they are not possible to buy. Which often is the case with OEM carbs.

Westboundbiker
03-29-2016, 11:09 AM
They may also be able to shim the needle with tiny little washers- which is what I've done in the past, and it works well.

DKerr
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
I have the same bike and hate that ugly air box. I've already received the jet kit and stacks from TJ Brutal customs. Would you guys suggest that I take it to my carb guy or do it myself? I have no carb experience.It seems to be a pain in the ass to a fair amount of people.

sdustin
04-12-2016, 11:53 PM
I have the same bike and hate that ugly air box. I've already received the jet kit and stacks from TJ Brutal customs. Would you guys suggest that I take it to my carb guy or do it myself? I have no carb experience.It seems to be a pain in the ass to a fair amount of people.
It's easy as pie I suggest a pry bar to help get the carbs on and off. The right side intake stack will need to be installed AFTER the carbs are in the bike. I'm my experience the tj jet kit was not rich enough. Jets r us has individual jets for like 5 bucks. I didn't need to change the factory pilot but your experience may vary. Read as much as you can about tuning carbs. It's not as easy as just using the kit. Also ensure you drill out the correct plugs for the air fuel mix screws. I made a mistake and drilled the wrong plug. Nothing JB weld didnt fix.

Tattooo
04-13-2016, 6:44 AM
Nothing JB weld didnt fix.

JB weld will only work for a little while where gas is involved....

DKerr
04-13-2016, 9:11 AM
It's easy as pie I suggest a pry bar to help get the carbs on and off...

Right on, thanks for the advice. I know removing it wouldn't be too bad it's the whole "getting it back to running the same as it did before" thing I'm hesitating with

sdustin
04-15-2016, 6:45 AM
Getting back in is kind of a pain. But I put a little spit on the carb boots and use the pry bar to push the down into the boots. It's very easy for me now. I'd rather RandR the carbs than a wheel. Honestly it's more a pain gettin the tank off than the carbs. Give it a shot. You'll be fine.