PDA

View Full Version : changing a bolt from 10mm to 3/8

sufguts
03-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I had a stripped shock bolt so I used a die to go from 10mm to 3/8-24. Now the nut on the other side, which is perfectly good thread, doesnt match. Can I just use the same die on the good side? Or do I need to like file off the threads a bit first or something?

ShovelsNeverDie
03-12-2016, 11:47 AM
My suggestion..... buy some new 10mm shock bolts or studs and stop messing around. However, if you're in a pinch and have to make this work you might have to file some of the 10mm thread off before running the die onto it. The major diameter of the 10mm is 0.393" whereas you are trying to get it down to 3/8" (0.375"). The die will do a good job cutting the minor diameter (i.e. down in the thread groove) but it's designed to go onto a 3/8 diameter shaft, it's not designed to cut the major diameter (i.e. tips of threads). Hope that helps.

sufguts
03-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Yeah it worked to file the threads down a bit and run the die over it. The shock studs are cast into the frame and I dont have access to a welder so it would have been a pretty costly fix rather than just a couple new acorn nuts. Thanks!