PDA

View Full Version : Best Fuel Tank Liner Product?

AbyssmalTailgate
03-08-2016, 3:01 PM
What's everyone's favorite product to use for lining crusty old fuel tanks after removing rust? Maybe you think one of these works better than the other? Any I didn't list?

cggorman
03-08-2016, 3:20 PM
Nevermind. I didn't see the poll. :)

47str8leg
03-08-2016, 4:09 PM
I hate tank liners. Repair it correctly and pressure test them before using. Ride around w/spray -can paintjob till' satisfied of reliability before going any further.

docmel
03-08-2016, 4:10 PM
There are NONE that work, IMO

ridgerunner1965
03-08-2016, 5:40 PM
what about casswell? spelling? ive heard its the best but even so i dont believe in them.

if my lank leaks i dont want nothing but the liner between me and another leak.

ive done a few rusty tanks.i always poured a few cups of bb,s and 1 inch sheet metal screws in them along with a cup of diesel, then wrapped them up in blakets and shoved them in a cement mixer.

done correctly turning every hour or so you end up with a nice polished finish that does not want to rust.it may take several hours tho.

if it leaks id weld it up and pressure test.

boomboomthump
03-09-2016, 9:53 AM
Red Kote (or radiator shop, not on your list). Do not use Kreme. Red Kote is very flexible and won't split even if you dent your tank. Red Kote can also be used to fix other failed liners. You should be aware though that if the tank currently has paint on it which you want to preserve, the fumes can affect the paint while it cures, so keep it in a well ventilated area.

You can make sure a tank is leak free day 1 and test it but that doesn't prevent an issue from developing down the road. It is good insurance over a ruined paint job (unless that doesn't matter to you).

seaking
03-09-2016, 2:54 PM
I vote caswell, haven't had trouble yet.

CTNewman
03-09-2016, 3:49 PM
I have Kreme in my pan. Don't love it, don't hate it.

I have POR15 in a Pan-Shovel and it seems to be holding up great and I don't think it will give me problems.

No matter what liner you use, expect to spend the good part of an entire day or maybe two attending to the tank.

Blackbetty
03-09-2016, 4:48 PM
POR 15 in 4 tanks. I used it to repair pinholes in 2. Never a lick of trouble.

hardrock785
03-09-2016, 5:53 PM
what boom boom said

SamHain
03-09-2016, 7:57 PM
Don't do it. I did caswell and it started flaking to shit in no time, don't know how to get it out. Easier to clean rust.

47str8leg
03-09-2016, 8:34 PM
Red Kote (or radiator shop, not on your list). Do not use Kreme. Red Kote is very flexible and won't split even if you dent your tank. Red Kote can also be used to fix other failed liners. You should be aware though that if the tank currently has paint on it which you want to preserve, the fumes can affect the paint while it cures, so keep it in a well ventilated area.

You can make sure a tank is leak free day 1 and test it but that doesn't prevent an issue from developing down the road. It is good insurance over a ruined paint job (unless that doesn't matter to you).

Just for the record I've used kreem in two tanks. The first one failed after 11 yrs....not a bad run. After I had to deal w/removing it I decided never to do it again. However ,before that happened I had already had done it to my current tank w/has been on the bike since 2009. If you use it you have to follow the directions to the " t " and let it dry for about a week or so someplace warm , the longer the better, before putting gas in it.

i

matttatts
03-14-2016, 11:10 AM
I used Kreme and it's all let go over winter sitting in a warm shop with no gas in it.

Any advice to get this flaking crap out of there now would be appreciated.

47str8leg
03-14-2016, 9:29 PM
I used Kreme and it's all let go over winter sitting in a warm shop with no gas in it.

Any advice to get this flaking crap out of there now would be appreciated.

Remove your petcock and replace w a brass hose fitting , inline shut-off of some type , and a long enough hose to drain into a container w/a funnel screen. Get mek , pour it in , and let it sit for 2 days. Drain tank and remove any crap in the funnel. if you want you can re-use the mek again repeat the process. after a couple of times of doing this I put in warm soapy water and drained again. When I felt comfortable enough That the mek residue was somewhat neutralized I flushed it out good in the slop sink and blew out the tank w/compressed air.
Assess the situation and see if you have to go back to square one w/the mek. If not put some nuts in the tank (count them ) wrap the tank in a rag and painters tape the rag tight. pad w/rags pillows whatever and wrap that fucker tight and cover the whole mess w/a sheet and more painters tape. Put it in your dryer (It should literally barely fit in the fucker) and use it as a tumbler. take it out and cut a slot in the ball big enough to get your tank out (you may have to do this again. ). take the nuts out and blast out w/compressed air.

You may have to repeat any step you want here until your satisfied it's all out. Rinse w/final warm soapy water and blow dry w/compressed air. Check tank w/flashlights and inspection mirror. If your going to coat the tank w/something else then use a rust inhibitor in the tank if it's going to be awhile. If your thoroughly disgusted w/ tank liners ( Like I am ) coat tank w/marvel mystery oil.

It is a long tedious process. If someone knows a better way I'm all ears.

Tim