PDA

View Full Version : No front brake questions

JWright
03-06-2016, 9:51 PM
Ok so Im building a cm bobber and I dont want to run a front brake for a few reasons.....

1. After swapping the the wheel from honda to yamaha the disk/caliper do not line up properly. This could easily be fixed by a bracket or using the fork legs from the yamaha that I got the wheel from

2. I like the look of the naked front wheel. Someone suggested that I run a wheel with a drum front brake as they are less noticeable but that wont work with the wheels Im running

3. Its just more parts to buy. I do have the factory parts but they would need to be rebuilt or replaced.

So... What are your thoughts on running just the rear brake? I may also want to mention that I am running a 4 pot Brembo caliper and a Brembo master for the rear. And this is also for a honda cm400a (hondamatic) with a top speed of 70mph which it will probably never see as this is being built just to put around town

SkinnyFnny
03-06-2016, 10:45 PM
A 4 piston caliper is 3 more pistons than you need to slide the rear wheel on that bike, it doesn't weigh anything. No front brakes are fine, pay attention to following distance and think two steps ahead.

Just remember than you removed 70% of your braking power. Don't ride like an idiot and you're golden.

davidabl
03-07-2016, 4:07 PM
This is kinda obvious, but i'll say it anyway. Anybody considering riding w/o a front should try riding for a few days w/o using the
front brake they've got & then decide whether they like riding w/o it.
After that, they should try a couple of quick stops with & without front before making a final decision.

Personally, I find that when I want the front I REALLY want the front.

docmel
03-07-2016, 4:07 PM
A 4 piston caliper is 3 more pistons than you need to slide the rear wheel on that bike, it doesn't weigh anything. No front brakes are fine, pay attention to following distance and think two steps ahead.

Just remember than you removed 70% of your braking power. Don't ride like an idiot and you're golden.

Yeah, well the real prob is, is that you cant tell the future, you cant always predict what will happen two steps ahead, and other people driving around you can be idiots. Besides the obvious and huge safety factor, ever try to load a bike on truck up a ramp, or situate yourself uphill or downhill at a stop while riding w/o a front brake?

Cool and look factor aside, get a front brake. Some people think that riding around in tennis shoes looks cool and old school, but I don't do that either

Hell, even bicycles have a front brake........I wonder why......

davidabl
03-07-2016, 4:22 PM
[QUOTE=docmel;719340] Ever try to load a bike(w/o a front brake) on truck up a ramp?

On a early sportster I scared the hell out of myself getting it DOWN the ramp. Because the brake wasn't strong enough to keep it from accelerating down the ramp :-)
Bike has a half-width hub front brake, barely enough to stop the bike if you're walking UP the ramp.

Next time going down I'll sit on the bike, not try to walk beside it....trying to walk it down was one "senior moment" for sure.

The bike tried to hurt me even before i even got it home ;-)

docmel
03-08-2016, 4:09 PM
[QUOTE=davidabl;719346][QUOTE=docmel;719340] Ever try to load a bike(w/o a front brake) on truck up a ramp?

As said "The bike tried to hurt me even before i even got it home ;-) " Get a front brake (That works)

I wouldn"t do the "Try it couple of days, then w/o" If you aint worried about yourself, consider the people around you

ridgerunner1965
03-08-2016, 7:20 PM
yu want to ride without front brake? a lot depends on where yu ride. i rode a shovel chopper for years in a rural area, no probs.

i wud never do it in a big city area there is a big city around here i would never ride without a front brake cuz people keep tryn to kill me.

however if i stay around here with these farmers i dont have a prob with it.

if yu choose to ride with a banna caliper rear only yu are askin for trubble.

go jaybrake

boomboomthump
03-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Makes you wonder how we manage to survive riding around NYC w/o a front brake while some people on here can't figure out stopping on a hill or loading their bike?

LMAO.

davidabl
03-09-2016, 12:57 AM
Decmel, what iI was trying to say was ride for a few days without touching the front brake, not remove it & ride for a few days.

davidabl
03-09-2016, 1:01 AM
Well, yes it can be done. But you gotta be more careful & go slower than if you have an effective front brake.

jrhamilton80
03-15-2016, 8:45 PM
I disagree with the 70% stopping power thing... As it was told to me, without a front brake, now 100% of your stopping power is coming from the rear as opposed to 30%, so it's at least a wash, and perhaps a performance upgrade.

Sky
03-15-2016, 9:03 PM
On a lightweight bike your better off ditching the rear brake as you can downshift harder than most rear brakes will grab. And they lock up anyway.
I have ridden a CB400, KZ440, GS550 and a TR120-650 with no rear brake and never missed it. My shovel(s) is/are heavy enough to need one though.
I think a big ol' front disc and four pot caliper are way sexier on the front anyway. Anybody remember the term "Attack Chopper"?

Doni
03-16-2016, 8:48 AM
70/30 front to rear. In a panic stop situation the rear wheel can lock up. When this happens the rear of the bike starts to slide and it will try to pass the front of the bike. If you get off the back brake the bike will go into a reverse side slide and down you go. This is taught at every rider safety course. You need a front brake to safely bring your machine to a stop when aggressive braking is needed. Having said that...I road my Pan Head Chop with no front brake for years. I hit the ground once or twice. I sold the Pan and built my shovel with a front brake and haven't been without one in over 40 years. I was recently working on my son in laws shovel that he just bought. It's got a dual disc wide glide front end but the brakes didn't work. The pads where shot and the handlebar master was leaking. He didn't want me to fix the brakes because he wanted to run a spool front wheel. I replaced the pads on one side and got the brake working a bit. Now he tells me "I grab that lever more times than I care to admit.....fix the damn brakes". The choice is yours it's your ass on the line, at my age I'm about getting home in one piece, you can keep the "cool factor".

47str8leg
03-16-2016, 10:20 AM
When you have 2 brakes the front does 70% of the stopping , when you have a rear brake only it does 100%. Foot clutch is a pita sometimes w/out one. Hand clutch. No Problem.

hardrock785
03-16-2016, 11:38 AM
you want a front brake

matttatts
03-16-2016, 3:27 PM
Front break is nice to have if you roll a foot clutch and like to pick up fat bitches around places with red lights on hilly roads.

OleDirtyDoc
03-16-2016, 7:36 PM
Been riding my cb on the rear brake as the front calipers grab.if you expect it it's not bad.I still sometimes ride like an asshole but always try to leave an escape route.

farmall
03-16-2016, 7:42 PM
I disagree with the 70% stopping power thing... As it was told to me, without a front brake, now 100% of your stopping power is coming from the rear as opposed to 30%, so it's at least a wash, and perhaps a performance upgrade.

Got data or you just like the explanation? Be careful of "appealing fallacies". Check when anyone tells you anything. It's educational!

When you have 2 brakes the front does 70% of the stopping , when you have a rear brake only it does 100%.

However the TOTAL max stopping ability with no front brake is much less. That's not a matter of debate because it can be measured. All scientific assertions should be testable and anyone making such an assertion has the burden of proof. (For example if I said the universe was shot out of my arse and ya'all should worship me, I'd rightly be expected to prove it.)

Using a common starting point and common brake application point, perform maximum controlled braking at the same speed using either or both brakes. Mark your stopping points for comparison.

If using engine compression due to feeble ancient stock brakes measure that result too. Repeat each more than once to reduce potential errors.

Run whatever dampens your nighties, but if you say X is fact, provide a repeatable test. When I was teaching MSF we had the students practice controlling rear wheel skids and trained them on maximum braking. It's not hard but surprising numbers of older riders were taught to be afraid of their front brake when it could be saving their life.

Think physics doesn't matter? Check the brake specs and performance on this 250 Aprilia. http://www.gizmag.com/go/2542/

Have some physics and read the whole page:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/143823/why-are-a-motorcycles-front-brakes-more-effective-than-back

Doesn't using rear brakes shift weight forward?

Technically, the weight doesn't "shift forward". Rather, the force generated by deceleration adds a vector force to the purely downward force due to weight, and that added force has a vertical component which adds to the downward force on the front tire and subtracts from the downward force on the rear tire.

jrhamilton80
03-16-2016, 7:50 PM
I can't speak for the other guy, but I was joking... Apparently not obviously. No one in their right mind could successfully argue that less brakes is more brakes.

Sky
03-16-2016, 10:27 PM
I thought it was hilarious.
Joking or not.
And thanks farmall good reads. I got lost in those gizmag articals for a bit

47str8leg
03-17-2016, 2:52 PM
Got data or you just like the explanation? Be careful of "appealing fallacies". Check when anyone tells you anything. It's educational!

However the TOTAL max stopping ability with no front brake is much less. That's not a matter of debate because it can be measured. All scientific assertions should be testable and anyone making such an assertion has the burden of proof. (For example if I said the universe was shot out of my arse and ya'all should worship me, I'd rightly be expected to prove it.)

Using a common starting point and common brake application point, perform maximum controlled braking at the same speed using either or both brakes. Mark your stopping points for comparison.

If using engine compression due to feeble ancient stock brakes measure that result too. Repeat each more than once to reduce potential errors.

Run whatever dampens your nighties, but if you say X is fact, provide a repeatable test. When I was teaching MSF we had the students practice controlling rear wheel skids and trained them on maximum braking. It's not hard but surprising numbers of older riders were taught to be afraid of their front brake when it could be saving their life.

Think physics doesn't matter? Check the brake specs and performance on this 250 Aprilia. http://www.gizmag.com/go/2542/

Have some physics and read the whole page:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/143823/why-are-a-motorcycles-front-brakes-more-effective-than-back

Not another Farmall ....

This one rates 2..

JWright
03-17-2016, 7:54 PM
ok... If I run a front brake can I run an adjustable brake bias controller and run them both off the foot brake? the bike is a hondamatic so there is no clutch and Im already set up for a jockey shift. would like to keep the handle bars clean

jrhamilton80
03-17-2016, 8:19 PM
I saw it done to a brake lever on the bars for a guy that was minus a leg, don't see why you couldn't do the same thing to a foot control & keep dem bars clean the ways ya likes it.

47str8leg
03-18-2016, 4:15 AM
ok... If I run a front brake can I run an adjustable brake bias controller and run them both off the foot brake? the bike is a hondamatic so there is no clutch and Im already set up for a jockey shift. would like to keep the handle bars clean

You can if you want both brakes applied no matter what the situation. I'd be more comfortable w/one than that set-up.

jrhamilton80
03-18-2016, 11:37 AM
If you ran it like 50/50 or something like that, it wouldn't be too bad, would it?

JWright
03-18-2016, 3:15 PM
i know that the goldwings run one front and the rear with the foot pedal and the other front is controlled by the hand lever

thermo1976
03-21-2016, 11:57 AM
I tried no front brake and all i have to say is i can ride more aggressively with a front brake. I can scrub speed more effectively and in a lock up situation i really want to be able to modulate my front.

farmall
03-21-2016, 9:43 PM
Wings, BMW, Guzzi (who use Brembo) have integrated systems you could check out. Don't reuse BMW rubber lines though. They have an internal disintegration problem on some years.

I forget the poster but there's at least one 33er running an adjustable car proportioning valve. You can get those from Jeg's or Summit.

I ride on shitty sand roads and would rather have the rear brake separate so the front wheel doesn't wash out.

BurnoutNova
03-22-2016, 1:36 PM
Makes you wonder how we manage to survive riding around NYC w/o a front brake while some people on here can't figure out stopping on a hill or loading their bike?

LMAO.

this^

ReRunCycleWorks
04-07-2016, 4:31 PM
I've always ran without front brakes it's a acquired taste but I don't plan on running brakeless on my personal bikes for now on