PDA

View Full Version : CA DMV titling nightmare. HELP!!!

a40nabowl
03-03-2016, 1:35 PM
So, it seem like every DMV office is doing their own thing, and every CHP office is saying a different thing.
VIN is long out of the system

I need to get a NO Operation tittle for a bike. Matching VIN on frame and case. Its a roller, with oil tank, gas tank, headlight, and thats about it

Called DMV and they told me to start the new tittle process I need to bring the bike in and have it VIN inspected.
So I take the bike apart, load it in the SUV, take it to the DMV, stand in line, get my number and they tell me to pull the bike up to the VIN inspection line. So I unload the bike, putt it back together at the DMV lot, and roll it into the VIN inspection line. The asshole VIN insepctor comes out, and says the bike needs to be completed, otherwise he can not do a VIN check. I cursed him out, and left after taking the bike apart and loading it up and going home

Called 1 CHP office, the vin inspecting officer said he wont look at it if its not 100% ready to hit the road, and that the DMV must do a vin inspection.
And here is the catch ..he said I CAN NOT ADD ANYTHING TO THE BIKE AND BRING IT JUST AS I BOUGHT IT.

So how the fuck am I supposed to have it 100% ready to hit the road when I get to the CHP inspection, if I can not add anything to it from the time I bought the bike?

Anyone know a good CHP office in the Los Angeles area that knows what they are doing?

Any help would be great.

Amil91
03-03-2016, 7:49 PM
i did the chp verification at the east la chp, guy seemed pretty chill, maybe trying calling them to see what they say. also when the dmv wanted the vin verification they sent me straight to chp, no dmv vin verification

fastfiat
03-03-2016, 8:16 PM
I have a gal that does all my dmv stuff. Last bike i did in the condition your describing she came to my house and did the vin id on the spot. Bike was far from running cond. Title and non op in about 1 week. You might try a third party service. Check with some local bike shops and see if they can recommend someone.

Whoremonger
03-05-2016, 1:54 AM
Lincoln park office in lincoln heights nor.east l.a went REAL SMOOTH for me . 63 pan frankie on a 57 hd straight leg frame. I did have a clear title to the cases though.

hellbilly1932
03-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Yep get a third party verification done. When I did my cb750 it was a frame sitting in my garage with three engines. Lady came to my house and asked where the vin was and which engine I planned on using. Bike hadn't been titled since the 80's.

BuddhahoodVato
03-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Go to a titling company, have them do the vin verification.
Then load it up in a truck, and drive down to a chp office, ususally they go by the closest to your zip code,
ive titled like 20-30 or so,
but then again my process only involved bikes, prior to 1969.
good luck

hellbilly1932
03-11-2016, 12:09 AM
By the way California only requires CHP verification on out of state transfers. The CHP nor DMV have never touched my bike. Same service also did a 1959 Lincoln I bought about 10 years ago, same deal it was out of the system but I had a paper trail to prove it was a Ca car so no CHP required.

SamHain
03-11-2016, 7:39 AM
By the way California only requires CHP verification on out of state transfers. The CHP nor DMV have never touched my bike. Same service also did a 1959 Lincoln I bought about 10 years ago, same deal it was out of the system but I had a paper trail to prove it was a Ca car so no CHP required.

Not true, bikes without a title need chp verification. Cars are a different story.

docmel
03-11-2016, 8:16 AM

To the original poster: Theres allot of shit house lawyers out there. I have found that if you have the right attitude,present yourself with the right paperwork, etc, that eventually you will get what you need when it comes to titles. Eventually you will meet the person with the same attitude that will get what you need. Not all DMV/Cops are dicks

I recommend you dont waste time shopping around and cruising the net trying to get what you need. Pick a DMV office, stay wit it and go thru the BS

BuddhahoodVato
03-11-2016, 8:46 AM
Well put, I educated my HP stud, he's still a bit gruff, but always shows interest in the old scoots.
To the original poster: Theres allot of shit house lawyers out there. I have found that if you have the right attitude,present yourself with the right paperwork, etc, that eventually you will get what you need when it comes to titles. Eventually you will meet the person with the same attitude that will get what you need. Not all DMV/Cops are dicks

I recommend you dont waste time shopping around and cruising the net trying to get what you need. Pick a DMV office, stay wit it and go thru the BS

hellbilly1932
03-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Not true, bikes without a title need chp verification. Cars are a different story.

I've read the requirements many times. You need a vin verification for anything without title but unless the law changed in the last ten years then they only require chp verification on out of state transfers. Like I said I had a third party do my verification and then I took the paperwork from them straight to the dmv and applied for my new title. Done deal.

hellbilly1932
03-14-2016, 1:03 AM
Well here's a good read for the op.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch1/ch1_25

Seems I was a little fuzzy on the facts but not far off. Any way it pays to educate yourself before going into this, but asking us assholes is like talking to dmv employees, ask ten of us and you'll get ten different answers.